UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2016, 11:47 pm   #1
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Default Workhouse Radio

Hi all,

I thought I would post this, mods if it's in the wrong place please move.

Today my wife and I visited the National Trust's Workhouse at Southwell. Upstairs is a room that recreates the period in the 1970's when the building was used to accommodate the homeless. In the dormitory they have a small kitchen area set up and a table with an Ekco radio, see attached photograph.

It looks like a U159, although someone will correct me if I am wrong. Although it was out of the period of the room I suppose that it's not inconceivable that such a radio might have survived and still have been used back then. Certainly I recall my grandparents using a radiogram in the 1970s.

The set was a little grubby but looked complete and untouched, it had a very frayed cable attached.

Regards,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	121761  
Old 20th Mar 2016, 11:59 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Workhouse Radio

That certainly is a U159, it is quite likely that such a set would have been still in use in the 70's. The Sobell set in my avatar was used as a kitchen radio by a friends family back then.
We still used a mid 50's HMV at the time.

Mark
Old 21st Mar 2016, 12:06 am   #3
gary_crutchley
Heptode

That's good, the room guide was worried it was out of context. But not in a dormitory used for that particular purpose. They would have used anything they could get their hands on that was working.

Regards,

Gary
Old 21st Mar 2016, 12:16 am   #4
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Attached are a couple of images of the dormitory.

Even in the 1970's I bet an old radio was the only entertainment these poor people had.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_GSC4873.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	121762   Click image for larger version

Name:	_GSC4875.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	121763  
Old 21st Mar 2016, 8:48 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I found some pics of my old school online, taken in the 1970s, i.e. well before I attended. They still had boarders at the time, and there were some pics of the dorms. I have to say that they didn't look that different from the pics Gary's posted. And in spite of all the well-heeled parents, the only entertainment I could see was a Bush DAC10.

So yes, I can well believe that sets like this are correct for this period setting.
Old 21st Mar 2016, 1:13 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, looks very plausible in various ways, not least the radio. In 1980-81 I started work in Lincoln and we rented a condemned house there, which had an electric cooker of similar vintage to that gas one (1935) and just that shade of blue distemper in its kitchen. By way of a deal with the landlord - an exchange for a '60s cooker found languishing in an outbuilding of the house we bought and moved to - we still have the said Revo cooker. The NT looks to have done pretty well, avoiding the all too common error that 1970s rooms were generally full of 1970s furnishings. Maybe those of newlyweds who happened to be both deliberately fashionable and very comfortably off.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 21st Mar 2016 at 1:20 pm.
Closed Thread