UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2010, 9:23 am   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Differential Variable Capacitor

Mentioned on a 'suggested application' diagram for a Denco 'C' coil set.
I have the coils and I have a regular 300pf single-gang tuning capacitor as well as the reccomended 500pf twin-gang.
I have never encountered this type before. Were all variable capacitors used for reaction controls this sort?
Old 13th Dec 2010, 1:42 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Differential Variable Capacitor

In a word- no. It's just one way of doing it. Presumably with some desireable feature or it wouldn't be worth the extra complexity and cost. Or maybe it got round someone's patent, back in the days.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Dec 2010, 2:02 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

The advantage is that it always gives you some RF bypass at the detector's anode. Either the RF is bypassed straight to earth, or it's bypassed to earth via the reaction coil.

If you didn't have the differential reaction capacitor, then at minimum reaction you'd have a fair bit of RF on the anode, which might upset something. And if you tried to bypass it with a fixed capacitor, when you really wanted the RF (for reaction), you wouldn't have it.
Old 14th Dec 2010, 12:52 pm   #4
TriMan66
Pentode

Hi,

I recently picked up a sent of Denco coils with the associated circuit diagram. This is shown below with the differential capacitor mentioned.

regards
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DencoCoil_Circuit1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	43921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DencoCoil_Circuit2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	43922