UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2020, 7:54 pm   #1
stoptheclock
Diode

Default Help required - Smiths Sectric

Evening all,

I've been given this Smiths Sectric (see attached pic) but having removed the back, I'm at a loss if it's in working order. The power lead looks to be okay but there's no plug attached - is anyone familiar with what sort of plug I'd need?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_183709.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	211810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_175434.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	211811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_175507.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	211812  
Old 25th Jul 2020, 8:13 pm   #2
sparkymike
Octode

Default Re: Help required - Smiths Sectric

My late mother and father had a Smith's Sectric in the living room. It was powered by a very small mains two pin socket connected to the house wiring and hidden behind the clock, which was one of the" sun ray" types.
To test it you can wire it up to a modern three pin 13 amp plug with 3 amp fuse.
You have to press the button which also alters the hands, several times to kick start them into operation.
Mike.
Old 26th Jul 2020, 12:38 am   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

Electric clocks often used to have their own special plugs and sockets, usually with screws to stop them being unplugged accidentally. You can still buy these but there's no need to. As said, you can use an ordinary 13 amp BS1363 mains plug with a 3 amp fuse, available from any electrical or hardware store.

The mains lead can be seen coming out of the bottom right-hand corner of the clock in photo 2 and 3. It looks like speaker wire. This type of wire is no longer permitted for mains power on new electrical appliances, but since it met the relevant standards when the clock was made, you are still allowed to use it. Just check the wire for any damaged insulation.

At the other end of the wire, if necessary strip off a little bit of the clear plastic insulation to expose the wire inside. There are actually two wires side by side. Connect one of the wires to the Live terminal of the mains plug. Connect the other wire to the Neutral terminal. It doesn't matter which way round you connect them, just make sure the two wires do not touch each other. Do not connect anything to Earth. Assemble the plug and make sure the back cover is securely fitted to the clock before plugging it in. The clock should start straightaway. You should be able to hear the motor running - a quiet hum from the back cover.

If you're not sure about how to fit a mains plug, ask someone for help. I'm sure someone on here would be able to help you.
Old 26th Jul 2020, 4:19 pm   #4
stoptheclock
Diode

Thanks @sparkymike/@hamid_1 for your help.
One new plug and fuse later and the clock is ticking away again.
Now I just want to get another clock and fix that now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200726_155639.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	211890  
Old 26th Jul 2020, 7:50 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Beware, two could be construed as a collection!
Old 27th Jul 2020, 7:55 am   #6
sparkymike
Octode

Glad we could have been of some help.
Photo of my latest "Sectric". A visitor to my house suggested that it was a cinema clock. Not sure about that.
On this one, I removed the movement, took the rotor out and washed it out as it was pretty grubby inside. I then put a very small drop of proper clock oil on all the pivots, and now it keeps perfect time. It has been going for a week now and I have not needed to adjust the hands.
They were very well made in their time and I am proud to have a timepiece on the wall of my garage which was made in Great Britain !!
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_1812.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	211940  
Old 27th Jul 2020, 9:13 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Love your garage clock Mike. Just the sort of thing you used to see in cinemas, bingo halls, ice rinks, bowling alleys and the like.

Alan
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:19 am   #8
Brigham
Octode

It's a cigarette advert. The lettering needs to be done with a deep yellowy-gold colour.
Every decent newsagent or tobacconist had one. A familiar sight.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 10:55 am   #9
stoptheclock
Diode

One thing I have noticed is the dial to change the time is a bit stiff to turn - I can't see anything to unscrew here. Would a few drops of oil help here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot3.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	211956  
Old 27th Jul 2020, 11:04 am   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

Yes 'Craven A' in this case and you certainly did used to see them in tobacconists. I also remember the gold colour you describe.
Here's one with its original gold lettering. Apologies to the OP for wandering off topic.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Craven A Clock.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	211960  
Old 27th Jul 2020, 1:39 pm   #11
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

The motor looks similar to one found in Venner time switches, which reliably switched streetlamps on for years in all sorts of temperatures and atmospheres.
Closed Thread