UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:54 pm   #21
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Unmodified Cream/Ivory GPO 746!!!

Do you remember what code was on the back of the dial?
I wouldn't bother with a conversion kit - gpospares cords are excellent and the service is top notch. All you need then is a 3k3 resistor.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 1:10 pm   #22
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I haven't seen a number on the dial yet, I was half asleep while lubricating it, so my very sleepy mind was focussed on the task of getting that done, might have another look when I can sort out the slightly skewiff fingerplate when the nephew's gone...

The kit I'm looking at on ebay is £6 total, has a cable (with colour options), the resistor, a rectifier (mine has that fitted already) and a dial label, aswell as instructions, can't be bad for the price...
Old 17th Mar 2011, 7:26 pm   #23
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I got the resistor today, as it happens I remembered that there was another electronics shop in Nelson, so I got a 3.3k from him, so I'm about to fit that now....
Old 17th Mar 2011, 7:40 pm   #24
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Oh, found some numbers on the back of the dial:

"51 GEN 80/3"

So I guess that dial too was made in the GEC factory in Newton...

Just about to test it with the resistor fitted...
Old 17th Mar 2011, 7:50 pm   #25
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

And it's working perfectly, nice and loud, the bells are ringing evenly, and I'm very pleased...

Well, that's £25.05p well spent, it's a lovely phone, and I like it...
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:01 pm   #26
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
And it's working perfectly, nice and loud, the bells are ringing evenly, and I'm very pleased...

Well, that's £25.05p well spent, it's a lovely phone, and I like it...
Excellent news!

Dial No 51 is a GEC 'own brand' dial, nice to have in a GEN 'phone
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:09 pm   #27
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I'm guessing that it's pretty much all original (apart from my updating it to work on modern lines), which I like, the handset I think needs a polish cos it's looking a bit on the dull side, but you can barely see it, so for now I'm happy to leave it as-is, just need a table to put it on...

You know, I keep thinking about the wall-mounted phone (can't recall whether it was a 711 or 741, it was the same colour though) I saw in the same market hall, it wasn't in good condition, case was loose, the dial surround was missing, and the cable used to convert it was about a foot long, but, I'm sorely tempted to go back for it, this 746 has made me want more...
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:21 pm   #28
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

If you go for a wall version, make sure the mounting bracket is present - they're often missing.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 1:41 pm   #29
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah, I don't think it had the wall mount bracket, cos I flipped the phone over to see the model, and the bracket wasn't attached or nearby...

Going back today actually, so I shall look it over thoroughly this time, assuming it's still there...
Old 18th Mar 2011, 2:03 pm   #30
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
the bracket wasn't attached or nearby...
Perhaps it got cut off

A suitable bracket isn't difficult to make if need be. Anyway, if you obtain a wall 'phone and need help then a new thread would be best - then we won't have any crossed lines.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 7:01 pm   #31
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

The wall phone wasn't there, so no need to find a bracket, or discuss it...

As an aside though, the fella on that stall (different from the first one, he has loads of antiques and stuff) apparently loaned out some phones that were used on the sets of Heartbeat, the pyramid shaped ones, and may be getting them back soon...

Anyways, I should look into getting that appropriate coloured cable for the 746, I was just thinking of attaching the cable at the BT, rather than in the phone, cos I like the original cable being fitted, looks nice and clean now it's been wiped down...
Old 18th Mar 2011, 8:54 pm   #32
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It is possible to fit a PST plug to the original round-section linecord but it's fiddly and not always successful. If you fancy trying it, it's best to flatten the last ½" or so of the cord.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 9:05 pm   #33
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Nah, I read about someone trying that on here and not getting much success, wiring into the BT lump is much easier for someone like me, and with a proper line cord, it'd be a much longer cable, which would be handy as the nearest socket to my room is a fair distance away...

That said I'm not too sure about using it, odd as it may seem, I actually don't like people calling me on the phone, but I love fiddling with and collecting phones (mobile and landline)!
Old 19th Mar 2011, 12:15 pm   #34
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I was fiddling with the phone last night before hitting the sack, and I noticed that comparing the Linesman and the 746 microphones, the 746's is noticeably quieter than the Linesman, and just to check it wasn't the electronics, I swapped the mics round, and the quietness followed the mics (I did return the mics to their original phones afterwards, of course)...

I think I shall be getting a couple of 21As in 10 days or so, carbon granule mics are pretty neat, but, I'd like something a tad more up to date...
Old 30th Mar 2011, 8:38 am   #35
radiotomcats
Retired Dormant Member

Dear Twocvbloke, I thought it was just me that ran 'vintage' telephones. I have a cream wall mounted version of your 'phone. Its totally un-altered. It was in the house when I bought it in 1976! I have various extension 'phones round the house, Cat, Stilleto shoe and a BT portable set, but I still use the 'wall mount' . When a BT enginneer had to replace my 'line-in' he commented on its age. Next job is to connect up (needs a new cord) my black Bakelite 'phone. I was given a falling apart cardboard box of various 'black' telephones around which the vultures collected. Two have been returned to service, one did an organ transplant (bell coils) to a WW2 german FF33 field telephone (now works). I shall sort out the rest and in the fullness of time post them for sale.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 8:54 am   #36
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotomcats View Post
Dear Twocvbloke, I thought it was just me that ran 'vintage' telephones.
Hmmm... You haven't been on this forum long, then?

Quote:
Two have been returned to service, one did an organ transplant (bell coils) to a WW2 german FF33 field telephone (now works).
Would this be the original German model of the Soviet TAI-43 'copy'?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 9:45 am   #37
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
I have a cream wall mounted version of your 'phone. Its totally un-altered. It was in the house when I bought it in 1976!
I'd love to find a house with an original fitting telephone, there's not many left with people renovating or just knocking down and rebuilding...
Old 30th Mar 2011, 11:33 am   #38
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post

Would this be the original German model of the Soviet TAI-43 'copy'?
Just goggled it and answered my own question: yes it is! Don't know what the bell-motor looks like in the German model, though, but the Soviet version is quite different to the 59A ringer used in GPO instruments (and some continental models).

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 6:12 pm   #39
radiotomcats
Retired Dormant Member

Dear Russell,
As you say its a German original. I have two and also two TS38 desk 'phones one with its battery box. I also have a later 1962 cable reel and umpteen metres of cable, its very similar to the german ww2 reel but lacks the exotic cable spanning device on the front. Also a later Warsaw pact Chezck(however its spelt) field 'phone. This might be version of the Russian one you mentioned.
Old 31st Mar 2011, 3:50 am   #40
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Just given the handset a good polish with a bit of Autosol (would have used Peek, which is finer than Autosol, but my Peek's gone bad), so now the handset has a lovely shine to it rather than the dull cloudy look it had before...

Still need to get a 21A mic for it, I just got sidetracked by the BT 286A linesman phone...
Closed Thread