UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2014, 4:48 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Electrolux Z2010 vacuum

hi all

my trusty 80's 'hoover' seems to be running out of puff! Today it's suddenly started making an unhealthy grinding noise and running slower than usual? I was wondering if the brushes are knackered? So before I go and buy a Dyson I thought I'd have a look.

Thing is, I cant fathom out how to get to the motor, as one of the 2 screws is covered by the lead retractor pedal. Is there a secret to accessing it?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0603 (Large).jpg
Views:	304
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	95907  
Old 7th Aug 2014, 9:39 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Electrolux Z2010 vacuum

I'm not familiar with your machine, but wouldn't be surprised if the pedal unclips by persuading it 'upwards' whilst applying inward pressure to its 'legs'.
Old 7th Aug 2014, 10:22 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It could just be that some dirt has got past the motor filter and is clogging up the motor. Dismantling and cleaning everything may sort things out.

I don't think the motor will have brushes - most are synchronous.

The pedal probably unclips somehow, though you may be able to remove the screw with some fine nosed pliers with the pedal in place.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 9:54 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think the motor will have brushes - most are synchronous.
Really? That's at odds with my (limited, admittedly) experience of vacuum cleaner repair.

A quick Google search suggests this might be the motor used in this model, which definitely looks "brushy" to me:

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/motor-mkr...pl?pid=1203687

N.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 9:58 am   #5
paulsherwin

You're probably right.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 10:45 am   #6
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks for the advice chaps

the pedals do indeed come off with a forceful pull. The brushes seem ok but there is a grinding coming from somewhere, perhaps inside the fan assembly, but as this is crimped together I shan't attempt to take it apart - it's hard enough trying to get the motor back in the housing !

The other possibility is one of the bearings is on the way out, in which case it'll be needing a replacement motor of this type here
Old 8th Aug 2014, 2:32 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

The fans used to be available as a spare part.
I have just a matter of weeks ago repaired a Henry of about the same age.
Modern cleaners often fall to bits quickly so it will be worth fixing your original.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 8:44 pm   #8
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Itam,

how about somephotos of the beast, please.

Regards - Mike
Old 9th Aug 2014, 10:32 am   #9
ITAM805
Nonode

Mike, thanks for the reply.

I believe the motor is wrecked. I ran it out of the case and it's making a hell of a racket and has lots of fireworks coming out of the brush area.

I think I'll cut my loses a buy a new fangled cyclone type, there's a Hoover branded one going for not much more dosh than for a replacement motor for this old beastie! I'll stick this in the shed though - just in case I decide to renovate it when I have a spare £50...

Many thanks for the help guys
Old 9th Aug 2014, 3:03 pm   #10
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Takes the same style motor as my electrolux z312. I recently replaced mine with this:
http://www.appliancespareswarehouse....050697026.html

It's 1100w, so a fair bit more power than the old 700w one, but a perfect fit and works great.

I was also told that I could buy a whole new vacuum cleaner for £45, but considering it, I thought replacing the motor was much better value. If your vacuum cleaner is in otherwise good condition, then buying just a new good quality motor makes better sense I think than buying a whole new unit that likely contains a lower quality motor and lower quality case/attachments too.
Old 9th Aug 2014, 6:35 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
I think I'll cut my loses a buy a new fangled cyclone type, there's a Hoover branded one going for not much more dosh than for a replacement motor for this old beastie!
If you can run to £100, the Henry is a superb, robust, no-nonsense machine for which spares are readily available. With regular bag changes, performance is excellent.

I have one and my wife has a Dyson, and I know which one I prefer, both from a convenience, performance and engineering viewpoint.

N.
Old 9th Aug 2014, 8:12 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you're buying a new cleaner the two brands I'd recommend are Sebo and Nilfisk-Advance.

Not cheap, but they last far longer than the likes of Dysons and Henries. Commercial cleaning-companies know what's long-term value-for-money and what won't let them down on the job.
Old 9th Aug 2014, 8:21 pm   #13
Station X

If I wanted a Dyson I'd get up early on a Wednesday morning before the bin men come.

I have a Charles which is the wet and dry version of the Henry. It's only the second vacuum cleaner I've had in over 30 years of house ownership.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Aug 2014, 8:25 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quite!
Old 9th Aug 2014, 9:20 pm   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

The older Dyson machines weren't too bad (my own DC05 has only needed three spare parts in ten years: a mains plug (a wire broke inside the factory-fitted, moulded one), a replacement top filter and a plastic clip which holds the extending tube to the elbow), but they are plasticky and do suffer from general wear. You'd need to pick up two or three older ones and if you got lucky, you could make one good one from the best bits.

The newer Dysons look even more plasticky -- and gimmicky. (At what point do diminishing returns begin to set in, as you add even more cyclones?) I'm sure brushless motor technology is pretty mature now, but bagged vacuum cleaners necessarily upped their own game during the time before the cyclone patent expired.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 1:29 am   #16
Refugee
Dekatron

We have had a Henry since the 1980s.
It is the one without the cable winder and the only thing that went wrong was the carry handle dropped off.
Late year a mate borrowed it and it came beck with a broken hose.
It lasted until this year when I was cleaning my workshop when the Rifa capacitor let rip.
At least it broke down in the right place place and I fixed it in a few minutes.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 1:40 am   #17
paulsherwin

All cyclone cleaners are either big and heavy or have very low capacity. I have a DC03 and it does clean well, but it weighs a ton. I mostly use an old Electrolux bagged cylinder cleaner for everyday cleaning.

I have actually never bought a new vacuum cleaner, and I'm 59. People chuck out perfectly good cleaners just because they've bought another one. I don't think I'd ever buy a replacement motor - that actually is a good reason to send them for recycling.
Old 10th Aug 2014, 3:02 am   #18
Maarten
Dekatron

For a Nilfisk you probably won't buy a replacement motor as they cost around 200 euro and (used to?) break down way too often. For a Philips, I once bought a Slovenia made original replacement motor for 25 euro. Nowadays a Philips motor will go for 40 euro excluding VAT, a Dyson motor for 50 euro while Chinese universal motors can be had for 20 euro, making replacement worthwhile in some cases.

(*) It seems Nilfisk nowadays orders motors from all over the place, ranging from China (with a 100% or higher mark up) to Philips. Some expensive motors are still priced between 150 and 300 euro.

Last edited by Maarten; 10th Aug 2014 at 3:14 am.
Old 11th Aug 2014, 8:22 pm   #19
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks for the replies chaps

After much indecision I've decided to fit a new motor in the old sweeper. Seeing as it's survived faultlessly for 26 years, I'm hoping a new lump will give it another few years of sucking up blobs of solder and lost screws from the kitchen floor!
Old 15th Aug 2014, 1:12 pm   #20
ITAM805
Nonode

hi all

the replacement motor arrived today and although it's a generic type and is ostensibly identical, the wiring is different. I phoned the company only to be told by a clueless girl that they have no technical information or anyone there to ask!

So before I send it back I'll ask here first.

The original has three wires, red black and white, the replacement has two, both black/blue. The original was 3 speed which was achieved through a thyristor circuit. The white went to the on/off switch, the red and black to the speed control board. However, the slower speeds were never used so it'll be a case of connecting just 2 wire and bypassing the speed circuit.

But which 2? Does anyone know please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0606 (Large).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	96216  
Closed Thread