UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2016, 8:33 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default Milton Keynes Museum

Hi all,
Have just returned from a British Leyland car rally at MK museum (in a Morris 1300 of course!) Museum has a great display of mainly Victorian living including a street of very interesting shops. There is also a good display of telephony with working mechanical & electronic exchange equipment. Fascinating to pick up a phone, dial a number and see the mechanics go into action! There's even a working jack plug exchange which you can use.
There is also a collection of film projection equipment and various radio related gear, plus a very nice Ruston oil engine and 210v DC generator and control panel plus switchgear etc. I believe there is also a large collection of transport related stuff and a working blacksmith but didn't get a chance to see that.
All in all, well worth a visit
Cheers
Nick
Old 25th Sep 2016, 8:46 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Milton Keynes Museum

I would agree that it is worth a visit or two, especially for those into telephone heritage (which is why the Telephone Heritage Group organises its autumn swapmeet nearby in Milton Keynes).

My sister (non-techie, but once a GPO telephonist) also greatly enjoyed a visit when I dragged her along.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 10:23 am   #3
MurphyNut
Heptode

I know this is a bit off topic but they are having an mechanical Organ Festival at the Milton Keynes Museum on 8-9th October, looks fun.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 11:17 am   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for the "heads up". I might pop in after the THG swapmeet on the 9th.