UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2015, 7:55 pm   #21
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Unusual failure of cooker spiral element.

I also went for an induction hob. I first looked at then around 20+ years ago but couldn't justify the price back then but today, or 5 years ago in my case, I bought one. As David says, WOW. Extremely safe, quick and definitely saves power. Very fast to boil a pan of water, and so controllable.
Visitors are amazed that I can cook with a towel between the hob and pan, there's no direct heat from the hob as the heat is generated in the pan so nothing to catch fire. No pan and it'll switch off so you can't switch on the wrong cooking ring. I've seen several fires caused by people turning on the wrong ring, be it gas or normal electric, and they've set fire to a cloth.
Can't recommend them enough, especially for us older folks.
Old 31st May 2015, 8:16 pm   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

Does anybody make such a thing as a plug-in, one or two "burner" induction hotplate, of about 2 kW rating?

I could find one handy with Summer coming up. Electricity from Solar panels is even cheaper than gas .....
Old 31st May 2015, 8:29 pm   #23
vidjoman
Dekatron

Lidl were selling a single burner plug in hob for about 29.95 a couple of weeks ago. Come up every few months.
Old 31st May 2015, 8:40 pm   #24
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Does anybody make such a thing as a plug-in, one or two "burner" induction hotplate, of about 2 kW rating?
Yes, single induction hobs of about 1KW at readily available for under £50, most electrical retailers that stock kitchen appliances should have them.
Doubles exist but seem less common.
Old 19th Jun 2015, 8:22 pm   #25
Gulliver
Hexode

Some camping/caravan shops sell single induction "burner" plug-in units at either 1kW or 1.5kW for use in caravans and tents.

Tried using a friend's induction hob several times and am glad I'm still using my trusty Tricity President with rings!
Old 20th Jun 2015, 12:38 am   #26
McMurdo
Dekatron

Not sure if we're drifting off the subject but I wouldn't have an induction hob seeing the complexity of the control board with their surface-mount, microprocessor-controlled fan-cooled IGBT stacks...a bit more expensive to replace than a spiral element!

I'm sticking with gas as I can still cook a meal during a power cut.
Old 20th Jun 2015, 2:38 am   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

It drifted a while ago, and seems to be nearing the end. Gas is most certainly off topic.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 7:57 am   #28
trsomian
Hexode

My mother's cooker has two elements, one each side, and one failed in a similar manner to the photograph. It so happened that the fault occured in one of the few places the element is visible.
Old 13th Jul 2015, 6:26 pm   #29
Andrew B
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
I cut all the cable from our old cooker, it was silicone insulated in a variety of colours and has proved very useful
Sometimes you get lots of fibreglass sleeving, it comes in very useful
Old 14th Jul 2015, 9:04 am   #30
PaulR
Dekatron

Elements constructed like those spiral ones and the similar ones on the grill and oven can fail rather spectacularly with showers of sparks and bright flashes. I keep a look out on our 1980 Creda Cavalier for any bright spots and replace the element before it can fail.

I keep spare oven and grill elements in case the supply dries up and they will trip the mains when first switched on. I have taken to heating them for half an hour or so in the oven before fitting them and this cures the problem.
Closed Thread