UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2014, 9:34 pm   #1
andyw25
Pentode

Default Hitachi VT65E

Hi all, think I know the problem but just wondered if anyone would be able to confirm for me.

Just done a full belt replacement on the Hitachi VT65E as all the belts bar two were completely turned to goo.

Got to the testing stage and can't achieve playback, there is no rotation from the right hand reel.

Tho there is also no rew/ffw so would I be right in assuming worn idler ?

Would this stop the right hand reel rotation during playback?

I have an idler coming from America as I struggled to find one. But wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else in the meantime.

Many Thanks, Andy
Old 18th Oct 2014, 10:34 pm   #2
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hitachi VT65E

It is best to change the idler and there is also a play idler, also check that the capstan motor is free running.
Old 18th Oct 2014, 11:37 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Think it is the idler from my Granada days, certainly worth waiting for and a good machine. The first new VCR I bought.
Old 19th Oct 2014, 12:07 am   #4
mickash
Hexode

Hi Andy,

This was a very common fault "back in the day" and provided the motor is OK is probably the cause of your problem.

A temporary repair can be effected by turning the idler tyre inside out, this should also enable you to assess the general working condition of the machine.

I'd also agree that these were really good machines. I had a VT11E which was an earlier model using a very similar mechanism.

Michael.
Old 19th Oct 2014, 9:04 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That idler was notorious and failed when the machines were only 2-3 years old. The nice thing is they take seconds to change. Hope you manage to find one.

PS I've got 2 VT11Es which you can have FOC if you need spares or want another Hitachi for your collection.
Old 19th Oct 2014, 12:48 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

These were good machines, and Hitachi had finally sorted out the capstan motor problem that was rife on the VT11 and 33 units, though I have had the occasional VT63 with a flat spot on the motor - check it's going round!
End sensors were a known fault in the early days. These machines didn't like Scotch tapes - we had several complaints about a poor picture which was rectified by selling the customer a pack of Memorex.
Glyn
Closed Thread