UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2011, 11:54 am   #21
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: 706 Conversion

What you have shown looks OK to me. Where does the other end of the green wire in the line cord go?
Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:45 pm   #22
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I am in agreement with Dave about the wiring at the telephone end, could we see a picture of the block terminal and the plug ended cord?, in particular the colours of this.

Regards
Andrew
Old 4th Apr 2011, 1:19 pm   #23
doooford
Retired Dormant Member

I've enclosed the block already (over optimistic). But continuity has been checked as:-

Yellow to Red
Black to White
Green to Green

Just had a thought, if I wanted to confirm the green as bell signal. If I ring the phone and set up a multimeter to check for voltage on the green, what would be used common? Also, what kind of voltage should I be looking for?
Old 4th Apr 2011, 1:42 pm   #24
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Ringing current of around 75 Volts AC should be measurable between the White (common) and Green leads on your telephone, during an incoming ring cycle, with a meter set to the 200 Volts AC range.
An analogue meter is best for this as you can than see the meter needle operate in sympathy with the incoming ringing cadence.

Don't forget if measuring at the telephone end that the linesman's latch will have to be operated once the case is removed in order to retain the switch hooks in the on hook position.

The only picture that I can see is that of the telephone and not of the block terminal.

Regards
Andrew
Old 4th Apr 2011, 2:45 pm   #25
doooford
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
The only picture that I can see is that of the telephone and not of the block terminal.

Regards
Andrew
Sorry for the confusion, by enclosed I mean that Ive screwed, taped, and permanently sealed the block. It's a tidy job by my standards so I'd rather not undo it.
I'll check the voltage tonight and try to trace it to where it gets to.
Thanks.
Old 4th Apr 2011, 3:00 pm   #26
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
As you have sealed the block terminal if you run into further problems perhaps your best option would be to obtain a replacement line cord which uses the "standard convention" Red/Green/Blue/White colour coding and wire this direct to the phone.
These are readily available from a number of sources, just do a Google search for 'Spade ended telephone line cord".

Have you tried strapping T6 - T7 and T8 - T9 (not to be confused with linking T6 - T7 - T8 - T9) as I suggested in post 15, to see if the bell rings then?

Regards
Andrew
Old 4th Apr 2011, 3:07 pm   #27
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Doooford: Given what you've said, I would be inclined to start by checking the ringing current at the socket (between terminals 3 and 5). It should also be present between 2 and 5. If only the latter, you have a problem with the socket wiring.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 4th Apr 2011 at 3:09 pm. Reason: clarify who comment is aimed at
Old 13th May 2011, 10:09 am   #28
doooford
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: 706 Conversion (It Works!!!)

Thankyou to everyone for giving advice and providing pointers that you have probably passed on hundreds of times.

I dug the phone out again last night and after pulling my sealed terminal block apart I found a stray 75v on the loose red(!?) wire. So I chopped the swapped that to feed the green wire and had lift off!!
One congratulatory pint later and I'd packaged the phone up ready for the owners birthday.

They will massively appreciate all of your help after leaving the phone in my care for over two years!

Thank you Darren-UK
Thank you Dave Moll
Thank you Tim
Thank you SeanStevens

And a special thanks to AndiiT who actually seemed to have more hope in me restoring this phone to its former glory than I did. I would have given up if it wasn't for you constant 'ideas' on what my problem might be!

I owe you all a pint. PM me your phone number if you are ever passing through BA3 and I'll oblige you!

Final config:-

Yellow to Red
Black to White
Red to Green

Last edited by doooford; 13th May 2011 at 10:10 am. Reason: Final config added
Closed Thread