UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2011, 9:31 pm   #1
gpogal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dial Speed Tester 43

Hi, does anyone know how to wire an old 1950's dial speed tester. The markings on the back indicate its a No 43. It only has two connection and I have tried to put it in series with a normal line, with no joy:-( Alternatively does anyone know of a cheap modern pulse dial tester? I want to make sure the phones I restore are as near to 10pps as possible
Old 8th Mar 2011, 7:02 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Dial Speed Tester 43

The speed-tester 43 is a mechanical device with an electromagnet and a mechanical movement. You'll need to wind the handle in an anti-clockwise direction first of all. The lower pointer is a measurement of impulse frequency against a scale calibrated in impulses-per-second.

The upper pointer (the ring) indicates the number of impulses received.

I have no experience of these things other than reading about them, but I would suggest putting a 50V d.c. supply in series with one of the two terminals, with one leg of your dial pulse contacts going to other terminal. Connect the other leg of your dial pulse terminal to the other side of the 50V supply.

+VE 50V d.c. >> Dial speed tester terminal 1 >> Dial speed tester terminal 2 >> dial pulse contact 1 >> Dial pulse contact 2 >> -VE 50V d.c. supply.

Rotate the lever fully anti-clockwise so the spring is charged in the dial speed tester.

Rotate the dial and let go. See what happens!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Mar 2011, 10:00 pm   #3
gpogal
Retired Dormant Member

Russell, many thanks you have confirmed my thoughts. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap 50v DC suppy from?
Old 13th Mar 2011, 10:44 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpogal View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap 50v DC suppy from?
Try it on 12V first (wall-wart, car battery) just to see. Is there anything written on the electromagnet within - current, resistance, voltage?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 5:58 am   #5
Chipmunk
Triode

The 'in series with a 50v supply' sadly won't work with a Number 43 tester. I have one I use all the time. They step when connected, rather than when disconnected, and a dial disconnects. (hope that makes sense). They'd have been used with an impulse accepting relay at the exchange. The coil of the tester I believe is 350 ohm, I use mine on 36v from an HP printer PSU (check car boot sales etc). The psu has a +24v and -12v supply, which seems to operate it fine. The relay is fairly non-critical, as you have no line length to distort the impulses, but 1-200 ohms would provide the limiting needed to run the phone, mine uses a 300 Ohm relay coil.

As a power supply, you could probably use 3 or 4 pp3 batteries in series, as the current consumption is pretty low when not directly pulsing. I've attached a diagram (hopefully) that I knocked up quickly. It's important when running on batteries to include an on/off switch, as with no phone connected, the coil of the tester is energized. (It energizes during breaks in the line current)

Hope all this makes sense!

One final tip, don't try to reset the lever of the 43 tester when it's energized (IE if the phone's off hook or disconnected), it'll fight back! (done that a few times!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tester.gif
Views:	376
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	49897  
Closed Thread