UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2008, 12:31 pm   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Is Superglue OK for this......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Heating Superglue is NOT to be recommended!
How long can Superglue be left before heating ceases to have an effect - if ever? I fixed our teapot-lid with it a while back, and I can't say I've felt any ill-effects, but it's always at the back of my mind that it might not have been the best adhesive for the job!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th Jun 2008, 12:45 pm   #22
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I suppose... What about those double-sided adhesive pads? I've used them before to good effect for holding veroboard in place, though not on anything subject to motor-vehicle vibration.
Unreliable, at least they were some years ago. We tried using similar to retain wiring looms in domestic electrical equipment. For no apparent reason, they would come off and when one wanted to get one off, Sod's Law of course, they were stuck really fast! Infuriating
Old 28th Jun 2008, 1:56 pm   #23
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

The problem with sticky pads is they act like a "slow liquid" i.e. they hold solidly against vibration, but try hanging a coat off one of those hooks they used to sell in Wilko's and sure enough, after a while, the hook would fall off! Same experience using them to retain cable looms, we used to use them at my old works for commercial chargers used in the mining industry!! Not that any harm would result in the looms coming loose but that's not the point

Reliability of such pads has probably improved though and they are certainly fine for attaching items to surfaces if there is no significant (continuous) mechanical loading. I have a few programmers & card readers attached to my computer desk using these and they are still stuck fast after a year or so

BG
Old 28th Jun 2008, 5:29 pm   #24
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Is Superglue OK for this......?

Unibond No More Nails double sided sticky tape. And no I am not a Unibond sales rep though maybe I should be.

Or good old fashioned Evostick like that poured over small pocket radios inards to keep everything in place.

Geof
Old 29th Jun 2008, 6:47 am   #25
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
How long can Superglue be left before heating ceases to have an effect - if ever? I fixed our teapot-lid with it a while back, and I can't say I've felt any ill-effects, but it's always at the back of my mind that it might not have been the best adhesive for the job!
Cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin so is probably safe to use here, but it can go powdery. Cyanoacrylate is used in medical applications, though not just an odinary tube of superglue

Takling of tea, it is time for an early morning cuppa

Geof
Old 29th Jun 2008, 8:43 am   #26
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I didn't know where it would lead when I started this thread.....!!!
Old 29th Jun 2008, 12:04 pm   #27
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Is Superglue OK for this......?

Quote:
My experience using Superglue with ceramic and china is that the join is not permament when heat is intermittently applied. I don't recommend this adhesive for such repairs.

Al.
Old 29th Jun 2008, 1:20 pm   #28
The General
Hexode

My two cents...
I would agree with GMB & use silicone rubber sealant. It's an excellent insulator & because it's flexible it won't stress solder joints when the assembly heats up, unlike hard setting epoxy.
Mark.
Old 29th Jun 2008, 6:34 pm   #29
Baggrus
Pentode

I would be inclined to agree with the silicone for this job, regardless of the horrid smell.. somewhat worse than araldite IMHO

About ceramics. I once broke my mothers teapot tile that was used to protect the melamine at home. I glued it up with ordinary PVA white wood glue, the reasoning being it claimed to stick wood and porous materials, and it was all I had around. I still have the repaired tile 20 years later. It sits under my kettle serving pretty much the same function. So for ceramics like teapot lids, cup handles etc. it's worth a try. It will take a stain as well, so you could probably make an approximate colour match to whatever you are repairing.

Oh and the lodger cracked the toilet seat right across.. ceramic-like plastic.. similar in texture to broken bakelite... Same stuff, this time the modern "no more nails" version. Has lasted 12 months and counting.
Old 29th Jun 2008, 7:34 pm   #30
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, i use a glue stick melted with a soldering iron for that type of job.
Old 29th Jun 2008, 8:49 pm   #31
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggrus View Post
I would be inclined to agree with the silicone for this job, regardless of the horrid smell.. somewhat worse than araldite IMHO

If this is a vinegar smell you are referring to then it is the wrong type of silicon sealant. The electrical sealant does not have this ingredient and is safe on bare copper, not ordinary bathroom type sealer.

Certainly covering a broad range of applications
Old 29th Jun 2008, 9:29 pm   #32
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Is Superglue OK for this......?

The 'vinegar smell' is acetic acid which will attack copper & cause it to corrode.

Al.
Old 30th Jun 2008, 4:49 pm   #33
Baggrus
Pentode

Ahhh.. I have only encountered the bathroom variety, but I have found that good for sticking odd things to odd things where nothing else seemed to work.

Thanks for the eye opener about the acetic acid content.. It made me think of an alternative use for possibly using it to strip corrosion from copper chassis? I must experiment some time.
Old 30th Jun 2008, 6:04 pm   #34
GMB
Dekatron

The so called "low modulus" sealant is the non-acetic kind. It is available in most DIY shops. Typically used as a sanitary sealer or for other building use.

The bath-seal type products are the high modulus acetic curing type.
Closed Thread