UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2009, 8:36 pm   #21
Rejectostat
Hexode

Default Re: Making Replacement Knob Brights.

These knob brights look very good. There used to be a chap who made reproduction chrome brights for 1930s Ekcos. However he doesn't seem to be doing them now, last I heard it had not been cost effective to make further stocks. If you could make some up, ideally chromed, (but even just a "chrome colour" would be better than nothing), I am sure there would be a market of grateful potential customers. (Including myself and I know of at least one other).

I tried making some a few years ago, but had no way of making the domed effect, which needs to be done before the plating is applied.
Old 15th Apr 2009, 11:56 am   #22
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

Edward very kindly sent me one of the Roberts knob brights and it really is good quality, nice and shiny with a perfectly smooth round edge with no evidence whatsoever of having been trimmed, unlike some other reproduction brights that I've seen. It fits an R300 knob here perfectly, so will also fit knobs on the RT1, R200 etc.

Well done Edward and thanks.

Howard

PS: I need two more please !
Old 29th Jun 2009, 8:21 pm   #23
Retired
Heptode

Hi Edward, Top class work and a credit to you. Out of curiosity have you considered metal spinning to turn the edges where needed?
Regards, Col.
Old 12th Jul 2009, 11:31 am   #24
igranic
Rest in Peace

Col,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Quote:
Out of curiosity have you considered metal spinning to turn the edges where needed?
I did consider it, but having looked closely at some hand-spun items I decided that the surface finish would need a lot of further work in order to produce an acceptably polished result.

Using the present method I can simply polish the finished item under power whilst it is still mounted on the lathe arbor.

Edward
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 6:27 pm   #25
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Edward,

Well done on this really interesting piece of reproduction!

I've posted a 'wanted' message elsewhere looking for a particular bright, but in the likely event of my being unable to obtain one, are you willing to take on commissions to make brass brights in small quantities for specific knobs, namely a Regentone DB2? I have a pattern. It looks very similar to your first prototype.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 7:10 pm   #26
igranic
Rest in Peace

PM sent.
Old 24th Aug 2013, 9:53 am   #27
MrCrabtree
Retired Dormant Member

Did we ever get to produce the Hacker Bright ?

I need some
Old 24th Aug 2013, 10:18 am   #28
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Edward (Igranic) was taken ill a few years ago (search Forum) I am not sure he would be able to use his lathe again. I see he has not logged into this forum for four months now. Edward If you read this I hope you can say hello.
John.
Old 24th Aug 2013, 11:04 am   #29
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That is very sad news. Edward's brights were excellent, and readily available on eBay very reasonably.

Hello from me too, Edward.

N.
Closed Thread