UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:01 pm   #1
Croozer
Pentode

Default A stupid question -heaters in series

I have a stupid question whose answer I can't see.

I wanted to use half an ECC83 and only one of its two heaters. 12.6v at .15A in series, 6.3V .3A in parallel, for use in a 12v parallel heater chain.

1.CONSIDER RESISTANCE OF HEATERS:
I needed the resistance to balance using one heater. So what is the resistance of the heater in one half of the valve 6.3V/0.3 = 21R

But back-checking, 12.6/0.15= 84R

If the two resistances are connected in series, then the two individual heaters' resistances should sum to the total. (84R)

2.CONSIDER WHAT I NEED FOR CIRCUIT:
I have 0.15A traveling through a circuit which needs to drop 6.3V
I therefore need a resistor of 6.3V/0.15 A = 42R

(Which is also half of the 84R total heater resistance)

My brain is tired. It's been a hard week for work, and my mind is stuck in press officer mode, not technical mode.

I'm not seeing something very basic about the difference between the two. Could someone please explain the discrepancy between 1 & 2 above? What is the resistance of half a heater?

Many thanks

Croozer

Last edited by Croozer; 27th Jan 2018 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Error in circuit topography
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:10 pm   #2
Croozer
Pentode

Default Re: A stupid question -heaters in series

Mistake in context if circuit topography
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:12 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Your sums are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croozer View Post

1.CONSIDER RESISTANCE OF HEATERS:
I needed the resistance to balance using one heater. So what is the resistance of the heater in one half of the valve 6.3V/0.3 = 21R
6.3V and 0.3A heats the whole valve with the two individual heater sections in parallel. Each heater section is 42R so the two in parallel are 21R, as you've shown

Quote:
But back-checking, 12.6/0.15= 84R

If the two resistances are connected in series, then the two individual heaters' resistances should sum to the total. (84R)
You're right again. Now the two 42R sections are in series.

Quote:
2.CONSIDER WHAT I NEED FOR CIRCUIT:
I have 0.15A traveling through a circuit which needs to drop 6.3V
I therefore need a resistor of 6.3V/0.15 A = 42R ...
Indeed, one section will be 42R.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:12 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

ECC83 has its heater in two sections, you're right.

Each section is 6.3V 0.15A (or 42Ω). So if you put in parallel, you draw 0.15A + 0.15A = 0.3A, obviously all at 6.3V. Effective resistance is half 42Ω, or 21Ω, which is exactly what you get by considering 6.3V and 0.3A.

But if you put in series, you have 6.3V + 6.3V = 12.6V. And the resistance is 42Ω + 42Ω = 84Ω (resistances in series add), which is exactly what you get by considering the 12.6V at 0.15A.

If you're just using one section, then it'll behave like a 42Ω resistor.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:14 pm   #5
Croozer
Pentode

Mistaken blank post above
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:15 pm   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

The valve has two heaters, one for each half. Each is rated at 6.3 volts 0.15A. They can be connected in series or parallel..

Why do you want to connect only one half of the heaters and then add a resistor?, why not just connect them as intended?
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:32 pm   #7
Croozer
Pentode

All,
Many thanks for your quick response. I needed someone from the outside to point out a mistake so obvious I couldn't see it.

I was intending to strap all unused electrodes together and thence to earth, in that context it didn't seem sensible to light the heater. But I don't know the correct procedure for using half a valve. Recommendations welcome
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:38 pm   #8
barrymagrec
Octode

I see no problem with running the heater on the unused half.

Unless others have better data info than I have I am not sure that which heater connection runs which half of the valve - if it is unspecified it may change for different makes of valve or different manufacturing plants.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 6:45 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The only downside I can see for running the heater on the 'unused' half is that it introduces additional heat which - if the valve's being used in something like a VFO - could cause additional thermal drift. Using an external resistor located well away from any temperature-sensitive parts of the VFO reduces this problem.

[I'm currently trying to reduce the thermal-drift of the VFO in a Trio 9R-59 communications-receiver which uses an ECC85 double-triode but only one triode is actually needed. The non-centre-tapped heater takes 0.45A @6.3V - to reduce local heating I'm pondering replacing this with a 12AT7 and only powering one filament - 0.15A @6.3V - so reducing the heating effect and - hopefully - reducing drift too]
Old 27th Jan 2018, 8:46 pm   #10
Croozer
Pentode

Many thanks. I'll run both heaters.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 9:10 am   #11
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I thought leaving a heater running on a valve without HT applied was a big no no, resulting in a damaged cathode. It's also wateful. If your running one section only at 12.6v as you say you'd have to drop the other 6.3v across a resistor. Better to tap off 6.3v from your 12v supply using a potential divider or use a CCS or 7805 and red LED.

Here's some good info - http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html

Heater filaments arn't linear like resistors and have a different resistance cold as compared to hot.

Andy.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 9:21 am   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Your maths are correct, but I can't see why you would only want to run half the valve.
If you are concerned about the unused half suffering cathode poisoning even though you are not using it, presumably so that the valve remains viable in use elsewhere, then wire that half as a diode and put a few volts on the anode so it ticks over.
Even 5v or 10v will keep it going for negligible HT current. Then its only one high value resistor extra.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 11:32 am   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

It is possible to light only one half of the ECC83 if you connect to pin 4 or 5 (depending on which half you want) and pin 9.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 12:49 pm   #14
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Why not connect both halves of the valve in parallel?
What is the application?
Old 28th Jan 2018, 1:04 pm   #15
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
It is possible to light only one half of the ECC83 if you connect to pin 4 or 5 (depending on which half you want) and pin 9.
Indeed - but is there data on which heater connection is for which half? There is no mention in my Mullard Maintenance Manual (price 10/6)
Old 28th Jan 2018, 1:09 pm   #16
Station X

Easy enough to find out by experiment I'd have thought. Personally I'd just connect the heaters in series or parallel to suit the supply voltage.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 1:19 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

It's easy, pins 1 to 4 is one half, pins 5 to 8 is the other half, pin 9 is the heater common:

Second page: www.r-type.org/pdfs/ecc83.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 2:16 pm   #18
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Heat the side you are using. Leave the other cathode cold, and ground the electrodes.

A hot cathode but no current means cathode interface layer. A warm cathode with current means cathode bombardment. A valve lasts longest when it is either off or on, not something in between.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 2:21 pm   #19
Croozer
Pentode

Many thanks for all the replies.

I've never used only half a valve before, and I don't know what best practice is; my thought was to use only what I needed (cathode poisoning etc. ) but the other valve in circuit has 12 V heater.
Cathode poisoning isn't really an issue, because the other half of the valve is redundant, but as a 'good practice' measure, eg. in case I ever want more gain, the cost of a resistor in the heater circuit seemed a low price to pay. The application is af amplification in a pantry TX.
Old 28th Jan 2018, 2:47 pm   #20
Biggles
Rest in Peace

You could always connect a 6.3 Volt 0.3 Amp lamp in series with the heater to drop from 12V to 6V and use this as a dial lamp or power indicator. I would personally just use the heaters in series as intended and risk damaging the other half of the twin triode. Is it of any great consequence?
Alan.
Closed Thread