UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:32 pm   #1
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Default Weller TCP stand sponge replacement

For those of us who prefer our jeans to the sponge in the stand, made out of a piece of discarded jeans, works well without wetting, yes I know there is no bit in the iron at the mo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solder_iron_wipe.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	157698  
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:42 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Weller TCP stand sponge replacement

As long as they are "old style" 100% cotton.

Cotton and elastane (polyurethane) mix might make a bit of a mess of your tip
Old 18th Feb 2018, 9:51 pm   #3
Radio1950
Hexode

I discarded wet sponges years ago.
I now use a 50mm dia kitchen type stainless steel scrubber tied down with thin steel wire.
The cheaper ones dont have added soap, and work well.
My Weller tips now last much much longer, and no more water and rusting tray.
It takes just a few minutes to get used to wiping the tip in the scrubber, and not hearing the traditional sizzle!
I copied the idea from our Hakkos at work.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:00 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Interesting solution. I bought a whole bag of Weller sponges recently. Cost me just short of £15 for 5!

I just gave up on the brass wool stuff as it keeps splashing hot solder on me.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:16 pm   #5
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Primark sell round cosmetic cellulose makeup cleansing sponges in yellow, pack of 2 for £1. They look, feel and act practically the same as the rather expensive official Metcal ones....!
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:19 pm   #6
alanworland
Heptode

I understand that plunging the hot tip into a cold wet sponge can shorten the life of the iron plating and for that reason I have always used a piece of cloth.

Alan
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:21 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Soldering iron sponges are readily available on the net. I did try to use an old kitchen scrubbing pad, but it melted when it wasn't wet enough. I've never tried it on a soldering iron tip, but when I couldn't get my hands on a bit of "moleskin" for a lead wipe, I found the rear of emery cloth an effective substitute.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:40 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
I understand that plunging the hot tip into a cold wet sponge can shorten the life of the iron plating and for that reason I have always used a piece of cloth.
Having used the same tip on a Weller TCP iron for the best part of 15 years, I'm not sure that is the case. It certainly is on the cheapy irons and the Antexes with copper cores but the Weller ones seem to be made of something completely different.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 11:54 pm   #9
turretslug
Dekatron

I take on board the points about stainless steel scrubbers being a better option for plated tips, but the same Continental discount stores that do these also do real (non-melting!) spongey sponge scrubbing pads bonded to dark green fibre scourer for not a lot- the scourer layer peels away easily and the sponge can be razored to size.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 4:51 pm   #10
jonnybear
Octode

Made up this over a year ago still going strong and no wear on the bit.https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=130230
Old 25th Feb 2018, 5:25 pm   #11
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've gone through two TCP tips in about 3 month's. The plating cracked on the first, the tip fell off the second. This isn't through using said tips as crowbars.

I used a green scourer and water for a while, which was great when new, but fell to bits after a while. i have got one of those metal scourer things, but it's not as good as a quick swipe on the old jeans.

One thing while were on the subject, I've seen a video that recommends wetting your iron tip before putting it back in the holder as well as when first heating it up, to apply solder as it heats up.

Any tips are welcome to prolong the life of my tips, it's a dear do. 15 years! I wish.

Will give the bit of denim a try, I've only two pairs of jeans to my name, can't afford to go through strides as fast as I go through tips.

Andy.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 5:52 pm   #12
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
According to the Metcal rep, that's the case for Metcal stuff tips He recommend the sponge be no more than slightly damp.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 10:51 pm   #13
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
Primark sell round cosmetic cellulose makeup cleansing sponges in yellow, pack of 2 for £1. They look, feel and act practically the same as the rather expensive official Metcal ones....!
Thanks for the tip, I drive a metcal system.
greg.
Old 26th Feb 2018, 9:01 pm   #14
factory
Octode

As we have so many different brands of soldering irons at work, we found it cheaper & easier to buy these larger sponges;
http://cpc.farnell.com/antex/y023150...antex%20sponge
We cut them to size & cut the hole in the middle same as the originals, you can make a couple of sponges from each. CPC seem to be little cheaper than RS (used at work).

David
Closed Thread