UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2018, 9:13 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default SMD Parts storage solution.

Hi all,

I’ve come up with a reasonable solution for storing SMD parts, may be useful for others.

You will need a 4 litre “Really Useful Box” and two of the insert trays, I got mine from the local Hobbycraft and also some “3ML Plastic Pot Clear Empty screw top Jar/Pot glitter nail art beads crafts Kit” - these were from eBay at £3.39 delivered from a UK seller for a quantity of 50.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to storage of SMD or other small items.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3F0075A-F078-4123-A7CE-43E1457426D8.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	156512   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C970C2E-59E2-4F04-B39D-571AD56638BD.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	156513   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC7F724D-D799-4918-A562-FAF3F2A3F31F.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	156514  
Old 31st Jan 2018, 9:25 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: SMD Parts storage solution.

That’s a really good idea. Thanks for sharing. Certainly takes up a lot less room than my current solution of bagged cut tape.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 11:51 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

that sounds interesting, never seen those little glitter pots before..at least not empty ones

My current DIY smt solution is plastic screw-top test tubes with the code and part number written on the top. The tubes will accept cut tape about 4-5in long and I've made a foam insert for a case by drilling the test tube holes with a piece of 15mm copper water pipe held in the pillar drill.

Your idea sounds somewhat more 'ready to use'.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 12:18 am   #4
Bobdger
Hexode

Just ordered my glitter pots 3 and 5 ml size. At the present I'm using sample tubes (new unused) this works well as the rapid electronics and farnell labels peel off the reels and stick on to the sample tubes. I now need to print small labels to fit the new pots.
Bob.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 1:35 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have recently been using Aldi hobby boxes and also those wall mounted chests of small drawers. There were some of the plastic bins wall hangers in stock today.
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 12:29 am   #6
FrankB
Heptode

I wished those were available here in the States. That looks like the bee's knees for storing those SMT parts. Great idea!
Old 15th Mar 2018, 8:31 am   #7
FrankB
Heptode

I finally found the little containers here locally at The Dollar Store, for (Surprise!) 10 for a dollar.
They do not come with a storage box, but the store also had small boxes they fit in quite nicely, again for a buck.
Now to try to figure out how to fit all the big tape reels of the SMT parts into the itty bitty containers. LOL
Closed Thread