UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2018, 8:58 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Another Wire-wound resistor question

Hi folks

Going through a box of assorted bits and bobs an old tech. gave me, I came across these. There are three of them, identical and unused. Any ideas what they might have been used for (apart from the obvious of course). They have no services type arrows on them but that doesn't preclude ex-services origin.

I thought I might use them for dummy loads for my valve amplifiers although they are 12 ohms and may be inductive. They are rated at 90W!

TimR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0425.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	156194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0426.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	156195  
Old 27th Jan 2018, 9:19 am   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Wire-wound resistor question

Hi Tim, Welwyn and others made them for a variety of industrial applications.
Look in any industrial electoral or electronics cabinet and you will probably see them.

Ed
Old 27th Jan 2018, 9:59 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Definitely of services origin, 5909-99-024-1016 is the correct format for a Nato Stock Number (which replaced the three services own numbering systems). 99 says it is a UK number.
Other than that I can say no more, they are standard parts which could be used anywhere required.
Andy
Old 27th Jan 2018, 10:05 am   #4
ronbryan
Octode

These Welwyn C44 resistors were marked as obsolescent in the 1970-71 Welwyn catalogue, so must be quite old. They were usually mounted in clips that Welwyn could have supplied.

I have two pages of data for the C series resistors if you want more information.

Ron
Old 27th Jan 2018, 5:04 pm   #5
flyingtech55
Octode

Thanks folks. I didn't recognise the four group number as an NSN. As I say, I think I'll use them as dummy loads for my valve amplifiers while I'm working on them. Presumably I can bolt wiring to the metal end caps using the existing clamp bolts.

Tim