UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2017, 3:00 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Volumio - Nice audio source for Pantry TX

I'm forever trying to improve my SSTRAN setup so I can get the most out of my radios and make it as convenient as possible. Ive tried a few audio sources so far, but they often have the inconvenience of being quite hands on or limited in duration. If you use your main PC, each time it reboots or some other audio is played that affects your radio stream. My partner likes to listen to podcasts so I've tried to find something to accommodate all our needs.

Volumio ( https://volumio.org/ ) seems very good so far. You boot it from USB (HD installation is possible), and you can use an old laptop or PC to run it (or Raspberry Pi), as an appliance. It has an excellent iPhone app that matches the interface you see on the computer, and I'm sure Android devices also (it being Linux based). This makes it a breeze to control from anywhere in the house.

You can play internet radio through it and setup your favourite stations, it supports network shares (CIFS and NFS), UPNP / DLNA streaming, Apple Airplay, features a sleep timer and alarm, and playlist features. Podcast functionally is apparently coming soon. The workaround I'm using for podcasts right now is running GPodder on a PC, adding all the feeds from the other halfs podcasts and downloading them to a network share for easy access on the Volumio.

Its advertised as an "audiophile" player, but don't be scared by that - it doesnt need expensive gear to run and the SW is free. It can also run from a raspberry Pi for minimal power consumption. Configuration is nice and simple , the only fault is not supporting podcasts directly but apparently this in the works.

It could also make a nice addition to any hifi and allow you to play digital formats without the hassle of a fully fledged computer and the joys that come with it.

I have nothing to do with the above organisation, just very impressed with the product and thought Id share it.

Last edited by PsychMan; 22nd Dec 2017 at 3:07 pm.
Old 28th Dec 2017, 12:36 pm   #2
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: Volumio - Nice audio source for Pantry TX

Given the best thing on TV is the dust and the rate at which MW transmission are disappearing, I'm quietly contemplating the following:-

1. In-Car DAB/DAB+ adapter with in-built FM transmitter (Made by Pure I believe)
2. OSMC with touchscreen on Raspberry Pi (3?, the one with on-board WiFi/Bluetooth?) hooked up to a USB HDD with our favorite music 'backed up'
3. Sstran AMT3000

All plumbed in/switched accordingly, housed in a nice enclosure, about the size of a set top box with linear PSU ...

Making it look good for in the home & not something dragged from the lab, there's the challenge ...

This way, we'd have a wealth of content to wire to our, well, wireless's ... Including my underused FM Troughline.
Old 28th Dec 2017, 6:55 pm   #3
llama
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2collection View Post
< 3 sources >
All plumbed in/switched accordingly, housed in a nice enclosure, about the size of a set top box with linear PSU ...

Making it look good for in the home & not something dragged from the lab, there's the challenge ...
Great idea.
Obsolete set-top boxes are 10 a penny or less and provide a clearly domestically-acceptable enclosure and possibly a PSU as well.
Graham
Old 24th Jun 2018, 5:23 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I have a Logitech Squeezebox more or less permanently switched on and connected to my Sstran transmitter. It has the great advantage that the remote control connects to the wifi and so can be used in any room. Keeping the modulation hum down is the only problem.