UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2018, 11:34 pm   #1
tuvieja
Retired Dormant Member

Default Audio problem with 1984 JVC GR-C1

Hi.
I purchased, not too long ago, an old JVC GR-C1 (the famous Marty McFly camera from Back to the Future). When it arrived, I tested it, and it was working great. I made a couple of recordings, and everything was fine. The battery was dead, but the camera came with an original JVC wall plug adapter, and, as I said, was working and recording great.

A couple of weeks ago, I had an 80s party at my house, and I wanted to record some videos with it.
When I checked the videos, there was no sound. I have the AV output cable, so I connected it to the TV, and my old recordings had sound, but these new recordings from the party had no sound at all.
I also tested not recording into a tape, but just putting the camera in record mode, so I can see the picture and hear the audio in real time from the TV thanks to the AV cable, and no audio can be heard.

A friend of mine has the same camera. I tried his microphone with my camera, and I have no sound. If I connect my microphone in his camera, it works. So the problem is not the microphone.

As I'm kind of good in electronics, I disassembled the camera so to get to the audio board, to check if there was any blown fuse or capacitor. I can't see anything strange on the board. There are no fuses, but the capacitors look ok to me, they're not fat or blown.

Anyone had a similar problem? Any solution?
Thanks a lot!
Old 18th Nov 2018, 4:56 pm   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: Audio problem with 1984 JVC GR-C1

I'm guessing the microphone is an electret type which will need some power to it to make the preamplifier within work. Is it receiving a voltage from the camera? If you connect a dynamic mic which doesn't need a voltage to power it does it work then?
Closed Thread