UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2018, 10:40 pm   #21
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Radio Caroline North weekend 1368kHz

30 years ago whilst living in Staffordshire I was unable to get over to the island for TT. Instead, I sat in my workshop listening on my NordMende Globetrotter 808. I had a long wire running along the drive, plus an earth, fed into a simple coil on a ferrite rod which I stood on top of the radio. A small trimmer cap allowed optimisation at 1368KHz. Some fading, but not only was I able to listen OK, but I also recorded them all onto tapes for a pal who was in hospital. I still have both the aerial adapter and the cassettes.
Les.
This was entirely during summertime and daylight hours of course.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 29th Oct 2018 at 10:41 pm. Reason: addendum
Old 30th Oct 2018, 2:38 pm   #22
HMV 1120
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croozer View Post
This sounds impossible, but driving round the edinburgh city bypass tonight i was able to pick up caroline on 648khz -reception intelligible but marred by interference. Standard issue ford focus radio. That must be ca. 300 miles on only 1 kw. Do you get sporadic E on MW?

Ps 1368khz is usually ok here subject to fading

Back in August I happened to sailing seven miles off Padstow at three in the morning. Excellent reception of 648 as if it was a high power local. Alas it faded shortly after the sun came up.
Old 4th Nov 2018, 4:04 pm   #23
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I read elsewhere that 1368 is now omnidirectional. Looking at some photos on the mb21 site it appears that the aerial system consists of two verticals. I wonder, given that there is no longer a need for a null in the radiation pattern (and that AM has to be on borrowed time), whether this means that one mast will be removed with a subsequent saving on maintenance?
Old 10th Nov 2018, 5:29 pm   #24
Scott37
Tetrode

I received Radio Caroline (648 kHz) just south of Glasgow. It was a weak signal but with less evidence of fading than Radio Luxembourg used to have. As I entered Glasgow, first electrical interference got worse, then Caroline seemed to become swamped by a foreign language station. Like Croozer, I was astounded to receive a 1 kW signal so far away (given that Radio Scotland is by contrast 100 kW and is much closer).
Closed Thread