UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2014, 9:36 pm   #1
Focus Diode
Octode

Default MTV 9000 VHF/UHF modulator

The subject of modulators has been discussed before. Most are only suitable for UHF chs 21-68, such as the Maplin one for example. Many older 625-line sets outside the UK had only VHF tuners, thus the need for a decent modulator which can tune down to VHF BI and III.

I found myself in this situation having been kindly given a GEC 2015 13" portable TV. This example has never had a UHF tuner fitted. There's a separate 405/625 selector so why not adapt the VHF tuner to work on both systems? This is a simple matter, simply move the flylead from PC8 to PC13. The VHF tuner now works on both 405 and 625-lines.

A member of the forum alerted to the MTV 9000 VHF/UHF modulator sold by a Dutch E-Bay seller. At just £15 plus £2 postage it was well worth purchasing for testing out. On arrival I appreciated the inclusion of a Euro to UK 13A plug adaptor by the seller. The unit lacks any lead connectors such as the RF output one so important to have one ready.

The output tunes across chs 1-69 (50-860MHz) via two push button selectors on the back with a useful LED channel display at the front. The audio output frequency can be adjusted between 4.5, 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5MHz. Useable in most countries therefore. Inputs are SCART and 2 phono sockets, IE: video and one audio channel, a two to one phono adaptor could be used to combine both L&R channels from, for example, a DVD player.

On test the results are very impressive, the GEC 2015 in question has probably never displayed a 625-line image before. For the price it cannot be faulted. Highly recommended.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtv9000 in operation.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	101544   Click image for larger version

Name:	MTV900 underside.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	101545   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC 2015 on 625-lines.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	101546  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 13th Dec 2014 at 9:48 pm.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 11:55 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: MTV 9000 VHF/UHF modulator

Hi Brian,
As the sound vision spacing can be altered it would also be useful for supplying vintage American TVs with only VHF tuners.

DFWB.
Old 14th Dec 2014, 10:05 am   #3
Focus Diode
Octode

With the 4.5MHz sound capability it would indeed be possible to use this modulator with vintage US sets once one gets around the required 230V AC supply if tried over there.

A correction is the price I paid was £15 including £2 postage. Has to be the bargain of the year!

Cheers,
Brian
Old 14th Dec 2014, 4:25 pm   #4
bobbyball
Octode

I have one of these, albeit in slightly different guise (well, brand name), and from Poland in fact. It does have multiple sound spacings making it suitable for foreign sets - for example my "Dux" TV/radiogam has a 625 line TV section but using the "B/G" sound carrier spacing of 5.5MHz and only having a VHF tuner. A bit of a fiddle to set up using just the "+" and "-" buttons but the results are very satisfactory. Self powered too, no irritating mains unit to lose...
Old 14th Dec 2014, 5:38 pm   #5
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
I bought a Dragonset modulator which I think works in a similar way. It looks very similar. This was for adding on a Tv to a new Freeview box which didn't have a modulator built it.
I would have used the video and audio outputs, but I had previously run a single uhf aerial cable to the Tv in the kitchen.
regardsPeter B
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 8:59 pm   #6
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I've ordered another two of these for my in-house distribution, which does in fact include one (and a planned second) 625-line channel in Band III alongside the 405-line channels. It will be simple to add extra switching to the VHF tuner on my Ferguson Courier III (BRC 1400). My Pye 48 (67 chassis) actually arrived with one channel already set to 625 line operation in Band III.

The first two I bought, about 3 years ago, also came from Poland and were about £15 inc. P&P, they are now offered by several suppliers including UK-based ones and for a bit less money (which I'm delighted with).

The picture and sound quality are excellent, easily resolving the fine gratings on a good TV. Far better than those Astec UM1286 modulators .. and some of the horrors encountered with some AV equipment.

Brian
Old 5th Jan 2015, 1:38 am   #7
winston_1
Hexode

I've got one of these as well. Noticed that when used at VHF there are quite strong odd harmonics which need to be avoided.

Oh and that 13A plug adapter is dangerous and does not conform to British standards as there is no fuse or shutters. Crush it, bin it, cut the Europlug off the modulator and fit a proper BS1363 plug.
Closed Thread