UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2014, 3:24 pm   #21
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Daily Telegraph article 1950s TV on digital

The TV22 was one of those few sets that could be easily converted to 625, it was this simplicity of conversion that initially endeared them to vintage TV enthusiasts.
Neil
Old 17th Mar 2014, 3:33 pm   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
No, but they did before DSO and so for any box to be compatible with legacy TV sets it has to have those features. I'm thinking of Belgium in particular which used a mixture of positive/negative, AM and FM modulation.
And none of which matters if you go in through the SCART socket; which was mandatory on the Continent even longer than it has been mandatory over here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
Somebody at Alba thought it was worth including an option for the even smaller number of people in the UK with NTSC-only receivers!
More probably, that was there already (after all, even in NTSC countries, they are still going through digital switchover) and somebody at Alba didn't think it was worth the bother of disabling it.
Old 17th Mar 2014, 7:39 pm   #23
emeritus
Dekatron

As well as UK system I and European B/G, my Icecrypt STB has an NTSC output option, but I don't have any NTSC equipment to try it out with. The user manual doesn't mention the non-UK options, but they are there on the setup menu, and I have confirmed that the B/G option works with a French multistandard TV.
Old 18th Mar 2014, 2:10 am   #24
winston_1
Hexode

DVB-T boxes sold on the continent almost always have an NTSC output option. For some reason Freeview branded boxes are hobbled to remove this option.
Old 19th Mar 2014, 7:33 am   #25
German Dalek
Hexode

The close-down for the belgian AM-Sound (625 & 819 lines) was in 1976!
AS FAR AS I KNOW (I asked some friends which are working for the VRT-
Television in Brussels) these systems were not in colour!
I could be wrong!
However, Belgium had a big cable network, just at the end of the 60s, even
in the country!
Maybe they started colour on the cable, because I know nothing about a parallel transmitter system to spread CCIR & Pal.
The same channels which were used to spread the AM Sound were since the time I remember
the channels for PAL!

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 19th Mar 2014, 4:50 pm   #26
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
DVB-T boxes sold on the continent almost always have an NTSC output option. For some reason Freeview branded boxes are hobbled to remove this option.
Almost certainly to cut down the number of unnecessary calls to the helpline. A menu option which, if selected, potentially renders the unit incapable of displaying a picture (or at least, a picture that the TV into which it is plugged can resolve) is more bother than it's worth.
Old 20th Mar 2014, 11:59 am   #27
colourking
Pentode

Non-multistandard TV sets over here would generally lock and display a black-and-white picture from NTSC input on SCART. The vertical height might be wrong too, but at least possible to see and alter the menu back the way it should be. The horizontal frequency is almost the same, and TVs can generally cope with both vertical frequencies (50Hz/60Hz).

405-line on the other hand with a much different Horizontal scan frequency would be out of lock and no picture
(though a 405 line baseband output - to feed a modulator - would have not have required any extra hardware and could have been put in a hidden menu (one not going to be accessed by accident) in a STB if desired for enthusiasts, if a manufacturer was interested! The STB could revert to normal '625' operation by means of a reset or perhaps just interrupting the mains.

Last edited by colourking; 20th Mar 2014 at 12:13 pm.
Old 26th Mar 2014, 4:05 pm   #28
Brigham
Octode

I cannot believe that there could ever be a sound commercial reason for a mainstream television hardware manufacturer to cater for 405 lines.

I'd like to be proved wrong.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 7:25 pm   #29
ntscuser
Hexode

I was thinking more in terms of hacking an existing set top box - preferably a cheap one - to provide the desired output. (Not that I would have a clue how to go about it).