UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:28 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Lidl specials.

On offer this week, are a soldering station at just under £10 and as the ad goes,there's nagging dought about quality. Also a cordless soldering iron . Lots of meters of varying types. Also, designed for lighting up the badly lit areas under cupboards in the kitchen, but possibly of use in the workshop to light up work areas, LED lights. What might make these of use in photo applications is that the colour can be changed from blue/red/green/white.
For those who have problems with drafty sheds etc- there's also a thermal gun which can be set from a reference warm area to locate, with an alarm, any cold areas, with set differentials.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:38 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Lidl specials.

I bought one of the cheap Lidl soldering stations a couple of years ago when they were last in stock. It works well enough but the temperature regulation is very hit and miss and it's very cheaply made. I mostly still use my old Antex for everyday work, and a market stall 60W job when I need to get something really hot.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 12:12 am   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

I nearly mentioned before, this weekend I picked up a 3-set of Parkside cone cutters or step drills. Useful for opening up holes in thin steel without snatching. In the same basket were other drill sets, all at £3.99 and I think they did a deal if you bought several.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lidl.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	155530  
Old 16th Jan 2018, 12:30 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I have just added the Aldi equivalent of the right hand to the steel boxed equivalent of the second right kit also from Aldi to make up a "super kit".
Old 16th Jan 2018, 9:58 am   #5
kellys_eye
Octode

I've used their cone cutters for a number of years now - still as sharp as the day I bought them and they are excellent at de-burring too.

The under counter lights are very effective, discrete and evenly lit.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 11:36 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

The under counter lights were better built and made of metal from both Aldi and Lidl a year or so ago. I have not tried any of the later plastic ones. They are good in work areas.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 1:05 pm   #7
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I bought one of the cheap Lidl soldering stations a couple of years ago when they were last in stock. It works well enough but the temperature regulation is very hit and miss and it's very cheaply made. I mostly still use my old Antex for everyday work, and a market stall 60W job when I need to get something really hot.
I bought one of these also. Plenty of heat but the build quality is poor. The tips are forever coming loose and the larger one disintegrated after very little use.

Liam
Old 16th Jan 2018, 10:35 pm   #8
Alvin
Heptode

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-O...84&week=1&ar=2
Old 16th Jan 2018, 11:49 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post

The under counter lights are very effective, discrete and evenly lit.
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jan 2018, 2:07 am   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

I forgot about Lidl's outdoor mains PIRs. They have them locally in black or white at £3.99. The appear to be the same ones as sold by several retailers for as much as £20 a pop. If they're the taiwanese Everspring ones, and they certainly look like them (though they could be a copy), I can vouch for them, having had 2 everspring PIRs which lasted 20 years until one was swiped off the wall by a burglar.
I might pick up one or two just for backups.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 6:59 am   #11
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

No worse than a 24 hour "7/11" shop Chris!
Old 17th Jan 2018, 11:09 am   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Nice point.

At least original was just a simple typo (I hope).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jan 2018, 2:01 pm   #13
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I just purchased two sets, one the HSS step drill bit set and the other the multifunction drill set and they look to be very useful for sheet metalwork. Normally £3.99 per set, they take off 99p off each set if you buy any 2 sets which works out at £3 per set which is great value. Thanks for letting us know about the offer as I don't visit Lidl too regularly.

Regards
Symon.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 10:15 am   #14
newlite4
Octode

I went in yesterday and bought the step cutters and milling drills as well as the battery soldering iron that runs on 3 AA for £5.99, I am often caught out having to solder something that is too far from a socket.
Neil
Old 18th Jan 2018, 10:34 am   #15
vidjoman
Dekatron

I think you must take into account the low price and the needs of the buyer. If you only need to drill 10 holes in a year then their drill (comes with a 3 year g'tee) will be more than adequate. If you are a professional user then a drill at 10 times the price may be worth the money.
I've bought many of their items and only once taken one back (an electric shaver) as it got too hot to handle when charging.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 10:49 am   #16
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I've found their tools be be quite good quality for the money. Slightly OT but I bought some telescopic garden shears in 2003 and they're still good, only occasionally needing to be sharpened. Their stainless steel garden hand tools are great as well.

Regards
Symon.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 11:20 pm   #17
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I'd be wary of a soldering station at this price for sensitive stuff on leakage grounds. Might be a good soldering station for valve work, hence my post. I also bought one of their thermal guns to trace poor window work by our local LA contracting cowboys.
Might be a useful tool for those who have cold spots in their bottom of the garden dens. It lets you set a reference on a known area, then select a deviation and give an alarm if the temperature falls outside this.
On the other side- how long before a lot of this stuff comes in at car boot style markets. I've got an ex Aldi paint sprayer ( great for fences & sheds) , from one of these places. Aldi price =£39.99, market price =£10.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 11:46 pm   #18
McMurdo
Dekatron

Ah they're having a Baby accessory week next. Look what's on offer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lidl1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	155702  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 12:48 am   #19
mark_in_manc
Octode

I snuck in tonight and found some step drills left at Salford precinct Lidl. They're described as being HSS _and_ carbon steel - perhaps the big one is the latter, as they're cheap. I guess grinding the flat face back a bit will sharpen them in either case. Left the baby accessories, this time.
Old 19th Jan 2018, 1:20 am   #20
Refugee
Dekatron

Those plug covers would have been much more useful if they had been around in the days when stuff was supplied with no fitted plugs.
Closed Thread