UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2018, 1:08 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Reassembling a Philips Superinductance 274A

After maybe a year or more I have restarted work on a Philips 274A, and, whilst I have the service manual and some articles from other sources about these radios, none of this,nor the photos on posts by Rich (Sideband0 some years ago, show exactly how the can containing Caps. C3,4,5, 6,8, & 10 is secured to the chassis. Quite a while ago now, i removed sauid can, opened it up, and replaced the original capacitors with modern yellow poly. types, resealed the can, then put the radio to one side for various reasons. Today I was about to refit the rectangular can in question to the chassis, prior to rewiring it into circuit, but cannot work out how to clamp it in position. The diagrams in the manual show two screws, one each side, holding the can in place, but there were no brackets attached to the can in the set on which I'm working. Like a fool. I ddn't take pictures when I removed the can, so should I just 'hang' it on it's wires, or is there a way to secure it? No doubt a couple of tinplate brackets could be soldered to the can, but there are no suitable brackets with all the screws & knobs I removed when starting to work on this radio.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 2:22 pm   #2
GeoffK
Heptode

Default Re: Reassembling a Philips Superinductance 274A

This thread may help, the can is held on by finger clamps.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=11743
Old 19th Feb 2018, 2:42 pm   #3
EdWilliams
Triode

Yes, it should be held by a pair of clamps that locate over the flange at the bottom of the can.

I rebuilt this same can on my own 274A a few weeks ago (see 'success stories' thread).

If I remember correctly the clamps have slotted diagonal holes in them so that they can be manipulated over the can flange when the fixing screws are already engaged in the chassis. In my case I found the worst bit was actually getting the fixing screws to engage with the threads in the chassis - the chassis is deep on these sets and getting access is quite fiddly. In the end I managed to get access from the side but it took me a whole episode of 'The Grand Tour' to do it.

Ed
Old 19th Feb 2018, 2:45 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Ed. I did wonder if those clamps were for that purpose, but couldn't get either to engage with the can's flanges. That may be due to how the solder flowed when I resoldered the can, having, IIRC, cut it open around the bottom.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 3:08 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes you can see one of the clamps in the pictures. The first picture shows it best, the second is the repaired/restuffed tin box. I used a blowtorch to unsolder the base and then just resoldered it back again. You only need to run a thin layer of solder all round the seam. I don't recall any difficulties refitting it. Over 10 years since I did that....how time flies! It's not been apart since then and still works....