UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2018, 10:38 pm   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: British Motorola radios

Sometime in the 80s, I don't recall exactly when, Radiomobile Dealers received a bulletin which stated that 'due to the fact that components increasingly have to be sourced from the far east', UK car audio production would end. Whether Motorola's decision to end UK production of their car radios was for the same reason I know not.
Old 14th Jan 2018, 2:03 am   #22
michamoo
Hexode

I certainly remember my Dad having this model radio fitted to his Ford when i was boy. When would this one have been manufactured and where do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_86.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	155424  
Old 14th Jan 2018, 10:58 am   #23
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The 124, along with related models 122, 112, & 114, the latter two being push-button sets, were made in the mid to late 1970s at Motorola's factory in Stotfold, Herts. The firm I used to work for, A.E. Malins of Oxford sold them, alongside other well-known makes, and I have serviced/repaired them over the years since. All UK Motorola Car radios, AFAIK, made between about 1974 and 1985 would have been produced at Stotfold, although some, notably the 252, a rebadged Autovox MA754 Radio/Cassette Player, were imported, in this case from Italy.
Old 14th Jan 2018, 12:45 pm   #24
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
The firm I used to work for, A.E. Malins of Oxford.
I remember well this firm, based in the Osney Mead Industrial Estate, off the Botley Road. I bought some Radiomobile car specific fixing kits from there in the 1970s.

I'm pretty sure that the Motorola car radio factory in Stotfold (Herts) was turned over to mobile phone production - for a while.
Old 14th Jan 2018, 12:59 pm   #25
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I may well have met you back then, DV. Although most of my working time was spent in the Radio Repair Workshop, I did sometimes help out in the front shop/stores area. Haven't been back to Osney mead for a long while. No idea who now occupies Malins old premises, or indeed if the buildings still stand.
Closed Thread