UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2014, 9:36 am   #121
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Castles in the Sky, the story of Radar and Watson Watt

Hi,
With reference to my earlier post (no.112), I've since received several PMs with kind offers of a DVD in the post.
May I take this opportunity to thank you all for your kindness, and to say that I now have a copy to enjoy with some like-minded friends who are staying here with us.
Thanks again everyone!
Cheers, Pete.

Sorry Mods if it's OT.
Old 18th Sep 2014, 12:28 pm   #122
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Castles in the Sky, the story of Radar and Watson Watt

Re: post no. 119.

Yes, KeithsTV, you raise a good point about the importance of the command structure. I wonder to what extent the Germans realised the importance of this later on in the war?

Also mention was made in an earlier post of the relative importance of BP's work and TRE's work. It is worth remembering that TRE scientist Wynn-Williams provided BP with assistance - so there was a certain inter-twining of effort.
Old 18th Sep 2014, 12:56 pm   #123
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
In Jones's case it may simply have been that one of his watches was the better timekeeper, but the other had some useful additional feature the main one didn't, like a calendar, stopwatch, timer or something along those lines.
Could also have been that one watch was set to GMT and the other was set to whatever flavour of daylight-saving-time was current?

A family-member used this approach when it was necessary to regularly phone a sick relative in Canada: one watch for local time the other for Canadian time. It conveniently avoided the need for mental-arithmetic to avoid said sick relative getting inappropriately-timed calls.
Old 29th Sep 2014, 3:27 pm   #124
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Just as a bit of a postscript, I missed Episode [3] of WW II in colour CH5 last Friday. I thought I'd flagged up the repeat on Saturday but it seems not. There was reference to Watson Watt/Chain home etc. One [repeated] clip shows a chap listening on an AR88 and a woman doing the same on [perhaps] an AR77 but you can only see a side view. The program is worth a look but I suspect the sequence used to illustrate detection is actually based on a Sound Mirror device [thinks-so that 's what they named the tape recorder after]. It should be on CH5 catch up for a while!
Dave W
Closed Thread