UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2016, 9:10 am   #1
mickyfinn
Hexode

Default Painting recessed lettering

Restoring a 1946 Seeburg jukebox wallbox.It has 20 transparent red plastic push buttons around a half inch square with recessed numbering from 1-20.The numbers were originally painted gold but 70 years of wear has worn the gold away.Internet search results include brushing the paint on and quickly wiping off the excess,same thing but let the excess dry then scrape off the excess,using a hypodermic syringe to fill the recess with paint etc.Can anyone advise which of these or perhaps suggest a more effective or easier method.
Thanks
Mick
Old 10th Jan 2016, 10:46 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Painting recessed lettering

Soft filler wax may be easier
http://www.engravingsupplies.co.nz/e...g-consumables/
Old 10th Jan 2016, 11:36 am   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

You could try using one of the a very small brushes that you can get in model shops for painting in fine detail in plastic construction kits. You could get a small (14ml) pot of gold paint there as well, e.g. Humbrol No. 16.
Old 10th Jan 2016, 12:05 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

Paint on!! I use Humbrol enamels ( still, if anybody remembers them)
I wrap a piece of clean soft cloth like a handkerchief or an old pillow slip, one layer only,
MOISTENED with turps ( mineral turpentine) around my index finger and gently remove the excess. leave the remainder to dry!!

Its worked for me for more than 50 years.

Joe
Old 10th Jan 2016, 12:19 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I too use Humbrol enamel paint, depending on how large and deep the lettering is, I either use a tiny artists brush or just cover the text in paint and wipe away the excess.

Mark
Old 10th Jan 2016, 12:22 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

If the engraving is wide, wiping while wet will often wipe the paint out of the groove. Scraping the surplus off can leave scratches.

There isn't really one ideal way. They'll all work, they all need care.

I wipe with a paint-soaked bit of cloth to leave deep paint in the groove but minimal around it. I leave it to dry but not fully harden, and then use thinners on a cloth to remove the paint from the surface. It takes a little off the surface of the paint in the groove, but leaves plenty.

David
Old 10th Jan 2016, 1:13 pm   #7
mickyfinn
Hexode

Lots of great ideas there thanks all.Couldnt find prices on the coloured wax website.The lettering is quite small.I'll get a tin of Humbrol today and give it a blast.
Mick
Old 10th Jan 2016, 2:14 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Bottom of section 2, describes various methods:

http://uphill.org.uk/pages/engineeri...nual/th_01.htm

Lawrence.
Old 10th Jan 2016, 2:19 pm   #9
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyfinn View Post
Lots of great ideas there thanks all.Couldnt find prices on the coloured wax website.The lettering is quite small.I'll get a tin of Humbrol today and give it a blast.
Try:
http://www.pantograph.co.uk/index.htm

A UK company which I have found very helpful.

Les.
Old 11th Jan 2016, 9:50 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Paint on!! I use Humbrol enamels ( still, if anybody remembers them)
I wrap a piece of clean soft cloth like a handkerchief or an old pillow slip, one layer only,
MOISTENED with turps ( mineral turpentine) around my index finger and gently remove the excess. leave the remainder to dry!!

Its worked for me for more than 50 years.

Joe
You could use a cork of correct size, with cloth and cleaning fluid.Oh,and for raised lettering - (tip from the blokes who do gravestones), put paint on the cloth and dab.
Old 12th Jan 2016, 9:16 pm   #11
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Depending how recessed the numbers are you could try lightly rubbing a candle over the button remove any excess that may have dropped into the number recess then paint

Steve
Old 13th Jan 2016, 10:23 am   #12
pastyboy
Hexode

in engraving lift control panels we used to dob it in, wipe excess with a business card and when the paint had flashed off surgical spirit on a cotton cloth was the trick to gently remove the traces. Can't remember what paint probably cellulose or maybe shellack alchohol based
Old 15th Jan 2016, 8:04 am   #13
mickyfinn
Hexode

Thanks for all suggestions.I ended up using the brush it on and wiping off when semi hardened method then once set giving it a rub with a scotch rite pad.Looks great.
Mick
Closed Thread