UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2016, 10:25 am   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Ebonite/Bakelite?

I have a front control panel on a mid 1920's receiver, it's black, about 6mm thick, I need to determine if it's ebonite or bakelite or whatever.

A piece had already broken off one corner, it looks like a clean very sharp fracture, I'm thinking of a hot needle or nail on the fracture surface for a test.

Any good? Anyone with practical experience?

I don't want to damage the front, rear or edges of the panel for any kind of test.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 10:47 am   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ebonite/Bakelite?

I think it’s more likely to be Ebonite than Bakelite. To test, a hot needle won’t have any effect on Bakelite, but it would on Ebonite, which is basically vulcanised hard rubber with a high proprtion of sulper and linseed oil added. It was (is) the brand name used by the inventor Charles Goodyear back in the mid 1840s. It’s still used extensively for such things as smoking pipe mouthpieces, fountain pen bodies and nib feeds, (eg, Mont Blanc pens!), and saxophone and clarinet mouthpieces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonite

Hope that helps a bit Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 11:00 am   #3
ms660
Dekatron

The band change switch rotors in the receiver appear to be made of the same type of stuff though not polished, they are about 25mm in diameter.

The hot needle test is the way I'll probably go, this early radio stuff is new to me as far as materials go.

I shall report at some time.

Cheers.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 11:39 am   #4
greenstar
Octode

If it's a sharp glassy edge, possibly formica? This was around since the 'teens, I think. It appears in the early magazines.
Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Radio-News-1919-11-OCR-Page-0022.pdf (54.6 KB, 223 views)
Old 6th Jan 2016, 11:47 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Test result using a panel pin heated to cherry red:

It's ebonite, at least that's the indication I'm getting, panel pin made a sizzling noise on contact and made a hole, smoke and the smell of old rubber.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread