UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2014, 2:44 pm   #21

Default Re: Time travel...

I wouldn't bring back much, maybe an HT battery or two, but would love to tour the Brookmans Park transmitter with PP Eckersley in the morning, early enough to watch the startup, and Broadcasting House in the afternoon.

All followed by a sumptuous dinner at the Langham Hotel (those days alcohol and tobacco were not dangerous!) And when I woke up in the present time with a bit of a hangover I would have some modern Ibuprofen to knock the edge off.

Old 11th Sep 2014, 5:31 pm   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Burn View Post
The paradox of bringing loads of now 'rare and high priced' bits back from the past would mean that they would immediately cease to be rare.......
I wouldn't be bringing magic eyes to 2014 because they are high priced, I'd just be bringing them because they are currently rare. If doing so made them plentiful, that would be fine, and people on this Forum would be welcome to them! I wouldn't be looking at making a packet, though defraying some of the cost of the time machine would be nice...
Old 12th Sep 2014, 10:30 am   #23
Nicklyons2
Octode

I'd travel back to the 1950s with a low-band U-matic machine and record some of the BBC programmes they didn't either record or keep + the opening of all the ITV stations and many of their lost programmes. The U-matic is just about full broadcast bandwidth on system A.
Old 12th Sep 2014, 7:32 pm   #24
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I would like to go back as a TV engineer to the dual standard period, late 1960's to the mid 1970's and also witness the start of the colour TV service.
I would also like to go back to WW2 with a good radio to experience the reception of the Home service from the H chain of synchronised transmitters. Can't believe they locked over 60 transmitters on one wavelength.
Old 12th Sep 2014, 10:34 pm   #25
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I wouldn't go back to dual standard TV's, if I were you, I was there at the time and they were a pain.

Peter
Old 13th Sep 2014, 11:48 am   #26
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I would guess that for an ordinary working man my father shelled out a small fortune on a brand new Philips dual standard set around 1963. The coming of BBC2 was much anticipated but the set never worked properly on 625 and so, with the occasional new valve and several replacements of the not very robust VHF channel rotary switch, we remained a two channel 405 line black & white family until the late 1970s.
Old 15th Sep 2014, 11:40 pm   #27
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I wouldn't go back to dual standard TV's, if I were you, I was there at the time and they were a pain.
I only saw the later generation dual standard black and white sets such as the Philips 210, Pye 267/36&, RBM A640, BRC1400 ITT/KB VC51, and GEC 2038/2043. I grew to like them all as well as the 625 single standard sets and would be very happy to return to this era. I did not see many dual standard colour sets as there was no 625 line service around the Bath area until BBC2 from Mendip opened in December 1969 with BBC1 and ITV following later in 1970.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 9:33 pm   #28
antenna441
Tetrode

I wouldn't bring back any kit. I'd bring back a piece of paper that showed I own a large number of shares in the newly formed Apple corporation.
Old 18th Sep 2014, 12:26 am   #29
whyperion
Hexode

Reels of proper solder , with lead in it. Spare power transistors.
Old 18th Sep 2014, 9:24 am   #30
Sideband
Dekatron

Probably the 30's and bring back a box of 994V triodes which are now unobtainable and a quantity of other 'hard to obtain' valves.

Maybe from there I'd hop forward a bit to the early 1960's and open a repair shop knowing that in a few short years there would be 625 lines and colour coming along. All the knowledge that I had would set me in front of all the other repair establishments.

Then I could retire early and invest all the money and hop forward to present time to reap all the interest......well I can dream??