UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2018, 8:33 am   #21
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Taylor Windsor 45B Valve Tester

The way that American servicemen were trained to change volume controls and IF transformers was to cut the tag off the faulty item, complete with wiring and then solder the cut off tag to the replacement part. Could this technique not be used in this case? I expect that a flux pen would assist soldering the old tag to the new item.

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 27th Jul 2018 at 8:43 am.
Old 28th Jul 2018, 7:32 am   #22
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Ron,
I have been considering that idea as well. I will probably link the tags with soft wire in a circle and solder them and then replace them onto the new base and then remove the link wire. I have a solder sucker here, so may be able to cut away the old tags, one at a time and then rewire to new base with a small soldered loop.
All the valve bases are on a removable panel, but one of the screws is tucked under the cable-form wiring, so I may well leave that alone.
Not an easy job, but a challenge all the same. I can see now why the previous owner left it well alone !!
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 12:54 pm   #23
sparkymike
Octode

Well today I changed the broken Telefunken valve base. Took photos first plus a drawing.
I removed the end base in the chain (valve base 8) which then allowed access to fit the new base as the various cables could then be raised to allow base to slide in place.
I then found that although wires carry through the bases without a break, they were soldered into the forks at the top of the tags, so this was a great help as they could be removed without any cutting of the wires.
To make life easier, I cut all the tags from the broken base and then removed what was left of the tag and then soldered wires back to base. Took around two hours and hardest part was replacing the valve base screws /nuts and washers.
Now in the manual for the 45B a fuse is mentioned. However I did not see it on the wiring drawing and have not seen it in the set. Anyone know where it is located? I am now going to try it out on a few different valves.
In the manual, they mention an X1 mark. for mutual conductance check.
On my Taylor meter there is an X and X2 position but not an X1, unless I am barking up the wrong tree.
Is this just position 1 on the 0 to 3 scale ?

Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 1:06 pm   #24
Freya
Octode

X1 is X,
Use the 45C diagram for the fuse position, the fuse is rated at 50mA

see really poor quality cut out from diagram of 45C

Another cheap upgrade that's worth doing is to fit a multiturn in place of the A control, there are some reasonable 3W ones from china on ebay but make sure you get the 6mm shaft size. Fitting one makes setting the X position really easy especially on pentodes where the needle flicks around so easily with the slightest touch of the A control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	97
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	166729  

Last edited by Freya; 29th Jul 2018 at 1:22 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 1:26 pm   #25
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Stephen, many thanks for that. I had missed it on the circuit. (senior moment I guess)
I am checking out a Mullard GZ 32 rectifier. As the valve warms up the meter goes way over to FSD, fairly quickly. Is that normal ?
I did not let it run for long in case of any problem.
I have the Taylor set on Rect. position and ABC set to 200 Filament volts to 5
Should other switches be set to certain positions as well?
I am a novice on this tester at the moment , so any help is welcome.
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 3:36 pm   #26
Freya
Octode

Anode / Screen switch should be 100/100.
If it is and you're still getting the same result then checking the resistors in the rectifier circuit would be next.

Added rectifier circuit with component values, R11 is different on several schematics of the 45B so check / fit whatever value is fitted. Generally it's R5 the 2k that changes value.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	166739  

Last edited by Freya; 29th Jul 2018 at 3:53 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 4:43 pm   #27
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Stephen,
Re-set anode/screen switch to 100/100 and now meter reads in middle of "Good" section, so perhaps all is well in that department.
I tested three small valves ECC 82 ECC81 and another and two read with good mutual conductance and the other not so good, so perhaps I have a half decent tester here.
Is it normal for these small valves to surge a bit on switch on?
Is there any way to prevent that ? I know they often do that in radio sets with metal rectifiers but not as much with valve rectifiers.
I will, as a matter of course, go through the various components to check if values have altered when I have more time.
Thanks once again Stephen.
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 5:25 pm   #28
sparkymike
Octode

I just tried to test a few 6L6 G valves that I have here, and came up with an instant problem. They do not fit the appropriate valve base (no. 12) as the black small socket that can be used for valves with a top cap is too close to the 6L6G base. Now when I got the Taylor, all three top cap sockets were very loose, but I tightened them,as you do, but now reckon they were left loose for a reason !! (For a bit more clearance with the base.) Answer to this would be to either loosen up the socket again or file a small flat on the socket on the side which obstructs the valve, or make an adaptor to raise said valves, so they do not clash with the socket.
I can only think that earlier 6L6G's were smaller based diameter than more modern ones, as I can't believe Taylor would have made the mistake of not laying out the bases correctly.
I will have to have a search in my valve collection for one with a smaller base and check the size.
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 5:49 pm   #29
Freya
Octode

What do you mean by a surge, heaters bright then settle ?

Not sure what you mean about the proximity of the black socket to the valve base, a picture may help.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 7:38 pm   #30
sparkymike
Octode

Yes. Valves bright then settle to normal. I will post a picture of the proximity problem later.
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2018, 9:50 pm   #31
sparkymike
Octode

Thumbnail enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6675.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	166753  
Old 29th Jul 2018, 10:01 pm   #32
Freya
Octode

It is a bit close, you may be able to elongate the hole for the black socket away from the base. Use a thin washer to hide the hole?
Some heaters do initially glow brighter, nothing to be concerned about.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 8:21 pm   #33
sparkymike
Octode

After testing a few valves, when doing the element shorts test there as a reading on the meter in one or more positions when rotating the ABC switches on most of the valves. (around 1/4 deflection from rest.)
I will try a new valve I have in stock, to see if the same result occurs, but I was wondering if any of the components could be leaky or have changed values that would give the same effect.
Mike.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 8:27 am   #34
greenstar
Octode

Mike, I have a 45B and have noticed the same effect, element shorts show on so many valves it's not likely to be them being faulty. I have lived with it as with so many things not had chance to look into it. Valves usually seem fine in their sets.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 12:47 pm   #35
Freya
Octode

The manual states "definite meter reading" as potential trouble, by this I suspect it means near full scale deflection. It goes on to say "small indications are due to emission of the valve"

Hope this is useful
Old 8th Aug 2018, 5:23 pm   #36
sparkymike
Octode

Thanks Stephen for advice. I am feeling my way gradually with this bit of equipment.I have found a new valve , so will give that a check and see what happens.
I make a point of returning all knobs to zero after a test, including the ABC knobs.. Think this could be a wise move.
I need to check out all the components on the board on the base of the cabinet next. I will have to draw out a component location drawing, unless someone has done one before.
Mike.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 6:33 pm   #37
Freya
Octode

It could be said that returning to zero every time creates unnecessary wear. Personally I make sure the A knob is fully anticlockwise .
No component layout as far as I know.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 12:30 pm   #38
sparkymike
Octode

Now getting the hang of this bit of equipment. I was interested to see that this instrument is quite similar in certain ways to the AVO Mk.4 Valve characteristic meter. I happen to have an original working instructions book for the AVO although I don't possess the actual AVo !! I have no idea where this book came from. However it does make interesting reading although after studying the circuit, I would not like to buy new transformer for the AVO. (Or for that metter for the Taylor.
Looking at the AVO photo, I seem to remember that a radio repair/components shop in Ipswich had one of these on the front counter, Wakelins. (Long since gone sadly.)
Many thanks for all the help and advice in above posts.
Mike.
Old 16th Aug 2018, 12:01 pm   #39
sparkymike
Octode

I have now had another chance to check the inner workings and can not find the fuse anywhere, although it is on the wiring diagram. I wondered if there was an internal one in the meter ? If there is, I can't see it would be easy to replace.
There is only one transformer, although on the wiring diagram it looks as if there were two ? I suppose this one could be an early production item and maybe the fuse was omitted by the wire-man.
At first I though I was missing a couple of resistors, but they sit between banks of the function switch.
Mike.
Old 16th Aug 2018, 1:28 pm   #40
Freya
Octode

Hi Mike,

The diagram I posted a while back is for the 45C, its got a fuse fitted whereas the 45B does not as standard. I have never blown a fuse and I don't hope to ever, numerous mistakes with incorrect settings on my behalf have sent the needle into dance mode with a VU effect but a quick hand on the on/off has prevented any damage.
To date the only work carried out to mine has been replacement rectifiers, a few out of tolerance resistors and the upgraded A control.
At a guess I'm only testing between 30 and 40 valves a year on average but it does depend on how busy I am, its a nice bit of kit to prove a valve is low or faulty, bit of a luxury really.
Closed Thread