UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2018, 9:31 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question What is a GP30M Diode?

Looking through a bag of assorted components, I came across a packet of diodes bearing the above type number stamped on them- the full number being GP30MG185. These are DO-201 encapsulation i.e. the same size as 1N540x series, but googling either the short or full number produces no results. Not being able to remember when, or from where I bought them (There is no suppliers label on the package, though there may once have been a card stapled to it) I have no idea what, other than diodes, they are. Can anyone shed any light, please? I was hoping to use them as rectifiers, in particular in a mod. to the PSU circuit of a Marshall JTM45 amplifier, the subject of another thread.
I also found a single IV5KE200A (CPC SC07285) diode, and have no data for that, either!
Old 18th Aug 2018, 9:50 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: What is a GP30M Diode?

Si or Ge? Measure the forward voltage drop.
Most likely Si if they are DO-201 package.
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:03 pm   #3
buggies
Heptode

Dunno about the G185 bit but GP30M is listed on the datasheet here as 3A 1000V:-
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datash...6/GE/GP30.html
Note that the site does not like direct entry to the data so there will be a message and another target to click...
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:17 pm   #4
sortedradio
Heptode

https://www.vishay.com/doc?88640
Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:57 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Sam, George, & Martin. How did I miss those data sheets?? I've use 'alldatasheet.com' before, so i know what that site is like. Anyway, from the info. on those pages, it seems that the GP30M is a 1000VRRM diode, similar to a 1N5408, so could be used for the PSU mod. I mentioned. They are silicon, glass passivated types (another term i don't fully understand, b.t.w).
Old 19th Aug 2018, 10:57 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

Not that similar to the 1N5408. Basically there's 3 common types/categories of 1000V 3A diodes that aren't always interchangeable. The 1N5408 is a slow 120Hz recifier. The GP30M is medium fast. The UF5408 is very fast. You can always use a faster type in a slower application, but not the other way around.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:05 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

the cpc diode is a TVS (transient voltage suppressor), a sort of fancy zener diode for over voltage protection.

If you type that CPC number into the CPC website, they have a downloadable datasheet.

Note the diode starts 1V... not IV...