UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2010, 11:14 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Looking for a really complex 405 TV? Ferguson 315T.

The Pye V4 is a complex TV set for sure. If you are looking for a real challenge, try and find a Ferguson 315T or the 21" version the 317T.
These sets have got the lot. Gated AGC, flywheel line sync and FM radio. Later productions use printed circuit boards.
Models 305T and 307T do not have the FM radio.
The 305T series are not much to look at in having the appearance of the 1956model 306T.
The 405T looks like the 1958 model 406T.

Information for these sets appears in the 1957/58 and 1958/59 Newnes R&T servicing books.

I've been on the look out for a 305/315T TV set for many years. No luck so far.

DFWB.
Old 9th May 2010, 4:58 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for a really complex 405 TV? Ferguson 315T.

Hi.
I have had a look at the circuit, and the component count is indeed very high, makes the V4 look like a toy! I would love a go at one of these, I also would like a go at an HMV1807, surely they wen't as bad as we were led to believe, so has anyone got one for the challenge
Old 12th May 2010, 7:35 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello David,
I have been looking out for a Thorn full specification set for a very long time. They are worthless as such but would be great fun to restore. The 305/315/405/415/505 are all wired chassis or mostly wired, have flywheel sync and gated AGC. I used to see quite a number of them in London in the 60's and always thought it odd because they were usually only supplied to dealers in difficult and fringe areas. One day my set will come....Regards, John.
Old 12th May 2010, 7:49 pm   #4
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
I also would like a go at an HMV1807, surely they wen't as bad as we were led to believe, so has anyone got one for the challenge
Hello Trevor.

I have, unwittingly recently picked up a similar set I think. It is a Marconiphone VC73DA, which I believe is almost identical to the HMV 1807A.

What difference the 'A' makes, Im not sure. Perhaps it was supposed to be more reliable?
Perhaps someone will be able to confirm this ( or console me as the case may be)
SimonT.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:34 am   #5
Halfabee
Triode

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the 1807 owners therapy room! I know this is going a bit off thread so I'll try to be brief.
The 1807A is an "improved" version of the 1807, the 1807 did not have sound or vision interference limiters and the original frame output stage was of transformerless design with capacitor coupling to high impedance frame scan coils. A.F.I.K. Marconi branded sets used only the later 1807A.
I take the following approach when powering up for the first time:

1) Visual inspection, all valves present? no obvious burn-ups or missing components? fuses OK?

2) Remove the "Mauve" lead on the voltage selector panel and apply power, these sets don't have a filter capacitor across the mains so there should be no surprise bangs at this at this point. After a few minutes valves should be lit, if not simple continuity tests will reveal the fault; the droppers are reliable and rarely fail.

3) Remove the Blue mains selector lead and reconnect the Mauve lead via a light bulb (I usually start with a 5W and work up), for about half an hour or so (depending on your patience), this will allow the electrolytics to reform and the HT should rise. Check for any signs of distress at this stage and keep a close watch on the main electrolytics can temperature.

4) Restore the leads to normal switch on and pray! hopefully you should have some kind of raster even if it is just a fuzzy blob.

Now the fun begins, first check the HT, these sets struggle if it is less than 220V, a BY127 with a 50 ohm or so series resistor will soon fix that.

It is almost certain you won’t have any signal, this is due to the little brown Hunts capacitors on the signal "chassis" causing instability. Replace them all! a P.I.T.A. I know. The last one I did I split the chassis which made the job a bit easier, just take a careful note of the interconnecting leads.

That's the basics; the final result is mostly down to the tube's condition. The original Emiscopes did not have a long life but you may be lucky. I have the 12" TV/Radio version fitted with a Mullard tube which gives a surprisingly good account of itself. A 1807A was my first restoration a few years ago, so I have a soft spot for them despite almost driving me to give up on old TVs!
Best of luck with the restoration and please keep us all informed with your progress or otherwise.
Drop me a PM if you need a shoulder to cry on!

Regards
Eric.
Old 13th May 2010, 6:57 pm   #6
thermionic
Heptode

Hello Eric.

Many thanks for your excellent advice. I must admit that had I taken the time to research this model number before buying - realising it to be a very close relative of the 1807- I would have given it a wide berth!

It will probably sit in the workshop for a while before I have a chance to look at it, as I have a lot on at the moment. However, when I get around to it I will post a blow by blow account on here for all your enjoyment. I am pretty sure I will need expert help.You can then have a good laugh at me for picking up a dud!

Cheers. SimonT.