UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2020, 11:30 am   #1
practicalpete
Tetrode

Default Philips 790A Radio 1938

Hello everyone, I am looking for some help with a 1938 Philips 790A Radio. The dial cord has snapped and I am struggling to see where it should be fitted. Also there are some frayed miniature bowden type cables that drive the band needle up and down the dial, any help as to how these should be positioned would be much appreciated. This radio belongs to an very elderly neighbour who has had it in his family since being bought new in 1938.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	198501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1760.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	198502  
Old 6th Feb 2020, 10:12 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Philips 790A Radio 1938

Hi PP, there is data available for this set on this website, top right of page, 'Vintage Radio Service Data'. Click on that and search for the maker & model and you'll find it. However, don't buy the Trader Sheet because it doesn't include the dial cord routing; sometimes they do, but this one doesn't. Actually I don't know if the Manufacturer's Data Sheets include it either but all of the previous Philips ones I have seen do include it so hopefully you'll be on a safe bet buying that instead. Once you have the diagram that's a good start. Hoping also that your mechanical skills live up to your 'handle' as you'll need to be practical since Philips sets often can be unnecessarily complicated. If the Bowden cables are working then leave them alone and just concentrate on the tuning wire. Since the tuning wire appears to have broken you should be able to get a product known as Beadalon either off the Internet or from a local craft shop. People use it for threading beads for jewellery and it is very strong and comes in various thicknesses. Good luck and keep the swearbox open. Cheers, Jerry
Old 6th Feb 2020, 11:22 pm   #3
Station X

The manufacturer's service sheet is very comprehensive and runs to 20 pages. It does contain some information about dial cords and Bowden cables, but it's textual rather than diagramatical. You're not likely to find anything better though.

https://www.service-data.com/product...35/5949/m14635

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 12:05 am   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Just a heads-up that unless this radio has been serviced fairly recently, replacing the dial cords could be the least of your problems as it is very likely to need the paper capacitors replaced before it can be used safely and reliably.
Old 7th Feb 2020, 10:06 pm   #5
practicalpete
Tetrode

Many thanks Cathoderay57, PJL, and StationX for the replies to my shout out for help with the Philips 790A. Your comments are very much appreciated and will be most helpful. I'll post on here again to report back as to how I get on.
Old 12th Feb 2020, 9:02 pm   #6
practicalpete
Tetrode

Latest on the Philips 790A dial re-cord. I now have new cord and the recommendation for the Beadalon is ideal to replace the original worn bowden cable inner. Still struggling with a diagram to show the route of the cord, I have tried a few different methods, non successful as yet. A friend has told me he once contacted a chap in Germany who is very knowledgable about German manufactured radios, a bit of a long shot but does anyone have an idea as to who this might be, my friend couldn't remember his name?
Old 12th Feb 2020, 9:59 pm   #7
Hoveradio
Pentode

Hi,does this help.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GB_Philips_790A.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	198882  
Old 12th Feb 2020, 10:04 pm   #8
cathoderay57
Nonode

Here's the full page where the image that John spotted came from. You might be able to contact the restorer if you register with Radio Museum website. https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/ph...urbericht.html
Cheers, Jerry
Old 13th Feb 2020, 7:33 am   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

If you send an email to the Radio Museum I can forward your request for help to Wolfgang Bauer in Austria.
Although Wolfgang does not own this radio he may remember some useful tips.
Mike
Old 13th Feb 2020, 5:34 pm   #10
cathoderay57
Nonode

I know the following link covers only American radios and not European Philips/Mullard models (note that the Philips 790A is very similar to the Mullard MAS4) but you might want to flick through the various diagrams and see if there is a similar layout that might give you a clue. Unfortunately, Philips dial re-stringing isn't an easy place to start from, so if you crack this, you should be able to figure out how to do most other radios! https://www.americanradiohistory.com...-DC-1-1948.pdf Cheers, Jerry
Old 14th Feb 2020, 12:14 pm   #11
PJL
Dekatron

This is a 797A I offered here a few months ago: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=156161

As you can see from the underside it is smothered with Philips black capacitors all of which will need replacing if the set is to be restored to (relatively) safe working order. I would certainly not be comfortable just replacing the dial cord and returning it to the elderly owner.

Last edited by PJL; 14th Feb 2020 at 12:20 pm.
Closed Thread