UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 7th Feb 2020, 11:31 pm   #1
Semir_DE
Triode

Default Repairing my Bush TV62

Hello Everyone,

Last year I was able to buy a Bush TV62 on Ebay. One of my very nice colleagues from our London office had picked it up for me and it had been sitting in our company warehouse for a while. Since I did not trust the regular forwarders to deliver this fragile TV to Germany in one piece I decided to make a trip to the UK by car taking the whole family along in August last year. Apart from the challenge of driving on the left and the traffic congestion on the M25 It turned out to be a very nice visit to the greater London area (we had stayed in Ruislip) during which I had a chance to visit the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum (BVWTM) (thanks Jeffrey B. for arranging that) and many other places. The family also enjoyed the visit to the UK very much especially my daughter who had never been to the UK before.

Now I have begun to work on this nice little TV and have started by giving it a thorough cleaning. Here is an image of the CRT before cleaning. I believe this TV had been kept in a smokers household or pub judging from the sticky dirt on all parts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildröhre_dreckig.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	198585

Here are a few images of the signal and main chassis after I had removed them from the cabinet:

Name:	Chassis_Vorher Signal.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	198587 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis_Vorher Ablenkung.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	198588

I have also measured the CRT and it seems to have good emission. I use my µTracer to measure CRTs using the diode formed by the cathode and g1 as an anode. This gives a good indication of the emission. In this case the CRT can deliver more than 10mA when the g1 "anode" is at 100V with respect to the cathode. Since the µTracer uses very short pulses for measurement this relatively high current will not harm the CRT - no worries.

Name:	Bildröhre_Messwerte.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	198586

Also the filament seems OK as it draws exactly 300mA when fed from a 6.3V source. So hopefully it does not have any partial shorts as others have reported in this forum regarding this model.

After some cleaning the CRT looked a lot better:

Name:	Bildröhre_Sauber.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	198589

It seems the main Electrolytic capacitors in the power section are still OK as they measure about 200µF and have an ESR of around 1Ω. I an wondering if will have to replace all the capacitors in the TV as they seem to be sealed with a kind of wachs. I will make some measurements and test their values and isolation before making any decision on that.

Next I will present the cleaned chassis and LOPT and any progress on the repair. Any hints from users who have successfully repaired this TV model would be very welcome. I do have the 9 page service information which should make the repair much easier. One surprise for me was the PCL83 valve that is being used in the audio and vertical deflection sections. This was a new valve that I had not encountered in any other TV I have repaired so far.

Cheers

Semir
Semir_DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2020, 12:08 am   #2
linescan87
Hexode

Default Re: Repairing my Bush TV62

Hi Semir,

I have just finished one off these for the Hurdy Gurdy radio museum here in Ireland. At first my CRT had a partial heater short but it seems to have cleared itself and has been reliable for the last few weeks.

You will have to change all the wax caps as they will be electrically quite leaky, I also had to replace the low value electrolytics on the timebase deck.

These sets work really well when done.

Best of luck, John Joe.

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
linescan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2020, 12:29 am   #3
ronbryan
Octode

Semir

I found that a simple wooden frame fixed to the timebase/power chassis with screws and quick clamps was the best way to work on the chassis when it was out of the cabinet. It saves the transformers and mains dropper from being damaged if you have a lot of work to do and allows the chassis to be turned to alternative positions if needed.

The chassis illustrated had perished rubber wiring looms to be replaced as well as having the later version single tag-board with hard-to-access wax capacitors mounted on both sides.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Support-for-chassis_web.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	198594   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV62-Power-Timebase-Deck_web.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	198595  
ronbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2020, 10:21 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
These sets work really well when done.
There are several Bush sets that use these chassis, the RF deck is particularly easy to work on with those nice handles fitted

As John Joe has said, all wax caps should be changed on sight.
The main electrolitics usually hold up well, the LOPT is also very reliable.
I think you will be impressed by the picture quality, these sets are capable of excellent results once restored.

Our family TV (T67, same chassis) lasted over 17 years with no repairs, a testament to how reliable these sets were for their time.

Mark
mark pirate is offline   Reply With Quote