UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:45 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Morse code coins

My enclosed pictures are of a Morse code coin which I presume is intended to help people to read and send Morse. Quite a clever idea but I think there are mistakes.

The send side looks ok, all of the letters are correct although there are no numbers.

The receive side looks to be missing a dah (dash) for the letter A and a dit (dot) for the letter G.

Follow the right hand horizontal line from the star at HAM RADIO past the dahs for T and M and down toward G where there should be a dot like the Z below it. It should read dah,dah dit for the G and dah,dah,di,dit for the Z.

Similarly on the left hand side there should be a fattening of the line by the A to produce dit,dah for the A and di, dah, dit for the R.

I wonder how a mistake like this could happen. There must have been hundreds of these coins made.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cw.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	187332  
Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:57 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Morse code coins

There are plenty on auction sites and quite cheap too.
Old 25th Jul 2019, 4:06 pm   #3
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Re: Morse code coins

You're right. How did I manage to latch on to one with mistakes. I didn't realise they were plentiful. If it was a rare coin it might be worth something.

Jim
Closed Thread