UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2019, 12:43 pm   #21
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Re: Newbie here - Reel to reel overhaul and refurbishment

Quote:
Turning a pulley is quite simple (depending on the complexity of the shape, of course!) It's always worth looking at the local hobbyist angle, as there's such a wealth of knowledge, tools and experience around,.
Now you mention it this pulley may turn readily enough as it's a stepped 3-speed type that engages with a rubber idler sort of thing, as in the Collaro Civic.
I don't know the hobbyist scene in my locality but expect if I shake the bushes enough.........

Rgds
TT
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:36 pm   #22
hillmanie
Pentode

While luxuriating in the bewildering choice of fixit postings here I came across a reference to selenium rectifiers. I remember them from old AC/DC radios and TVs, the type where the chassis was 'live ' ie was directly connected to the mains. So if you failed to observe polarity (with a 2-pin plug!) you were in for a nasty shock. Thinks they were half wave rectifiers and they too polarity sensitive - like all rectifiers I guess. If you got it wrong it fried and the smell was unique and disgusting like rotten eggs. If one comes across one of these can it be replaced by a modern semiconductor type? In a tape recorder is one of these beauties likely to be half or full wave? The modern bridge rectifier capsule is cheap but of course would increase the output voltage too much Rgds
TT
Old 29th Jul 2019, 2:58 pm   #23
julie_m
Dekatron

A tape recorder is most likely to have a full-wave bridge rectifier (five terminals, outside two tied together) to minimise ripple on the HT.

Any rectifier, even a valve one, can be replaced with silicon and a suitable series resistance. Just watch out for series-wired heaters (not applicable to tape recorders) which will need another resistor to complete the chain.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 5:48 pm   #24
hillmanie
Pentode

Good to know. I have bought that type for 99p. 1000v rating, for my DIY car battery charger project
Rgds
TT
Old 29th Jul 2019, 8:12 pm   #25
hillmanie
Pentode

Need a spot of inspiration with this one. This time the issue is mechanical. The deck is that commonly found in Ferguson, Thorn, Marconiphone and maybe more.
Works:
Fast fwd and rewind. May have a little tape spill for investigation later
Flywheel spins, agreeably quietly
Doesn't work:
Play and Record functions. That is the reels don't move in either mode I think I see a slight tremor only in them on pushing the switch.
In those positions the pinch wheel doesn't touch the capstan, the small gap being clearly visible. Am I right n thinking that the tape should be driven somewhat by being sandwiched and gripped here?
So far I haven't found any obstacle that's keeping the pinch wheel away from the capstan but I'm still searching.
Advice much appreciated as always
TT
Old 30th Jul 2019, 11:32 am   #26
hillmanie
Pentode

Was able to verify pinch wheel operation by looking at a clone of the deck and yes, the pinch wheel runs tight against the capstan during Play and Record. Well it is called 'pinch' isn't it. Now need to find what I'm missing as to what is preventing the pinch wheel from gong the whole way
TT
Old 30th Jul 2019, 3:32 pm   #27
hillmanie
Pentode

Seems I may have fixed this issue without understanding what caused it, which can be dangerous. Anyway I've now got the pinch wheel in snug contact with the capstan and tapes are playing normally. Am not capable of technically describing the fix but here is the Dummies Guide version. The pinch wheel/lever assembly is spring loaded and spring pressure is applied during Play. This is used to Pause the tape by a lever that temporarily pulls off the wheel against its spring pressure. The Pause button actuates this lever and it's this lever item I appear to have fixed. The lever has a bendable stop against which the pulley assembly bears. Bending this stop adjusts the travel of the pulley assembly relative to the capstan. . By bending it slightly the pinch wheel assy moved closer to the capstan. My only concern is not to overdo the wheel pressure and possibly damaging tapes, unless the spring loading prevents this. ?
I only post this in case anybody has any similar problem as the arrangement is likely peculiar to this family of BSR decks
Rgds
TT
Old 30th Jul 2019, 7:55 pm   #28
Boulevardier
Octode

"My only concern is not to overdo the wheel pressure and possibly damaging tapes, unless the spring loading prevents this. ?"

I don't think you need to worry about too much pressure on the pinch-wheel - I should think that is determined only by the spring tension once it is completely clear of the pause mechanism. The adjustment you've made should only affect the clearance during pause - which either works or it doesn't work at all). But make sure the roller arm is completely clear (even if only by a mm or two) of any part of the pause mechanism on record/replay, and that the roller is completely free on pause.

Mike
Old 30th Jul 2019, 9:02 pm   #29
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks Mike. I'll check it again though my recollection is that the Pause lifted the tyre clear of the loaded tape and capstan
Rgds
TT
Old 1st Aug 2019, 11:40 pm   #30
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Fear not, Tony - you are among friends here...
Piece of trivia that someone might relate to and quite familiar to others but a first for me.
In the Concord USA reel to reel (the one with whisper faint recording volume) there are two not one small microswitches one screwed to each side of the deck. Looks like they're 'normally on' when they're in contact with the cabinet sides and off with the deck removed. Thinks I saw something like this with a VCR deck once but never in a reel to reel. Learns Something new every day.
TT
Old 18th Aug 2019, 9:52 pm   #31
hillmanie
Pentode

Philips N4 306/15 Reel to reel

Would like to know if this oldie is valve or transistorised. Can't find it in the £1.99 service sheet shop above.

Does it ring a bell with anyone?
Thanks
Tony
Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:13 pm   #32
Michael Maurice

Transistorised.

Beware of the old belts turning to goo.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:17 pm   #33
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks for lightning reply Maurice!
Tony
Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:28 pm   #34
ricard
Octode

That machine looks like its from the era when the pinch roller also can suffer the same gooey fate. Replacing belts is always doable, but a failed pinch roller requires either finding an original spare part, which will probably have suffered a similar fate already, or having it professionally refurbished, which might be worth while on a Revox A77 but perhaps not on a machine that cost £ 3 at a local thrift shop!
Old 19th Aug 2019, 2:37 pm   #35
hillmanie
Pentode

Too true. There's a bloke on eBay selling used pinch wheels in quantity. Difficulty is he may not have the right size, which I won't know until and if I win the auction
Rgds
T
Old 19th Aug 2019, 2:50 pm   #36
hillmanie
Pentode

Amnesia here - I had in fact bought it. On its way. Should know the worst in a day or two
T
Old 24th Aug 2019, 1:38 pm   #37
Station X

To avoid confusion, please could you start new threads for each individual machine you're restoring

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jun 2020, 9:19 pm   #38
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Civic Recorder User Instructions

Some time back one of us was seeking these. I promised to copy if I found mine. I have done but it's so long ago he probably has got one by now. If not I'm happy to email a scan.
T
Closed Thread