UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2010, 9:55 pm   #61
kirk1955
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai Cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger13 View Post
As you may know, there is a project ongoing to produce replacement record cams for the Akai 4000D. However, confusion has raised it's head.

The cam in question (pictured) does not suit my 4000DS Mk2 (UK version), but Colin (Doffery) assures me that it would appear to be a match.
So, we have an unknown quantity there. It's possible that my UK 50Hz version is different to the multi voltage decks.

This raises the question of which other Akai machines it will fit. And that's where you good folk come in. If you have a spare hour () could you take a look at YOUR Akai and see if the cam in the picture is a match. Now, at risk of causing confusion, I have included my 4000DS Mk2 cam in the picture to illustrate that 'at a glance' they can appear identical.

If you are confident that yours is a match for the TOP ONE in the picture could you kindly post the model number for us please?

The more matches we have, the more cams I can order, and the more people we can help!

Fingers crossed it'll suit several machines.

Cheers,

Roger.
hi the top cam will not fit the 4000/ds/db it will only fit the old 4000 with chrome pause lever uk model or not even the 1721 versions
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 1:23 pm   #62
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Kirk.

Thanks for your input. Your comments confirm the current 'compatibility list' with the exception of your '1721' reference. If you have a 1721 which would not accept the new cam (top picture) then we have yet another anomaly.

All the more reason to offer the new cams on a trial basis!

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 5:35 pm   #63
askhim8
Retired Dormant Member

.......just a weird update to my filthy piece of paper that i still use!!.....the cam on the left is identical to the ones i have just taken out two 4000DS and one X-201D all from Germany , i have had one with UK written on a red sticker before and now have one which says CEE on the same coloured sticker, does anyone know what country these three letters are, don`t forget you have to pretend it`s about 1975 .......as with your updated list this cam on the left should not fit the machine that the right hand cam comes from BUT it does, again it must be as the linkage is adjusted?.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cams.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	38440  
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 3:56 am   #64
julie_m
Dekatron

CEE would be mainland Europe (50Hz, 220/230V).
Old 4th Aug 2010, 8:57 am   #65
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi everyone.

Bad news I'm afraid. At the final hurdle the engineer involved in this project has decided to bail out and has refused to progress any further.

As we had a working prototype ready for production I am at a loss to understand the problem. I have emailed him begging him to reconsider his decision but he has not responded so I can only assume that this project is dead in the water.

Thank you all for your efforts and support with this and I am only sorry that I can not, on this occasion, reward you with the goods.

Needless to say, I am not amused.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 25th Jul 2011, 9:47 pm   #66
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Forgive me if it has already been considered and rejected, but what about 3D printing? From what I see on the Web items can be reproduced that should be tough enough to make suitable replacement parts.

Any thoughts?

Alex
Old 26th Jul 2011, 9:05 am   #67
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Alex ,
I don't think there is the same interest in the cam problem these days & with the death of Roger 13 earlier this year the whole subject appears to be on the back burner.

Regards.

Colin.
Old 26th Jul 2011, 12:26 pm   #68
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Watch this space!

I was involved with Roger 13 and the original attempt to re-manufacture cams. I now have access to a 3D printer and I'm hoping to have a prototype in the near future.
Old 26th Jul 2011, 5:39 pm   #69
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Glad to hear it Brian, which cam are you involved with at present.? I have various cams available if required.

Colin.
Old 26th Jul 2011, 6:31 pm   #70
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, great news Brian, I would love to be able to get my Akai up and running again. Await further news with anticipation!

Alex
Old 27th Jul 2011, 12:25 pm   #71
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Colin,

You have a PM.
Old 30th Jul 2011, 2:01 am   #72
Yarraman
Tetrode

I managed to aquire a very trashed AKAI 1721W for $10 and found the CAM's were still perfect to replace those in my AKAI M8. At first I thought the M8 CAM's were slightley larger, but in fact they had expanded and crumbled over time. The AKAI M8 is now working perfectly.
Old 5th Oct 2011, 5:33 pm   #73
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Just wondered if there was any further progress on this subject.
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 7:14 am   #74
tonyndianne
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Yarraman, I'm new to Forum. Have seen your info re M9 Akai Reel to Reel Cams. Can you send me PDF Service Manual please. Have seen the pictures, I need the Play/Rec Cam
Part # M9-055 f Cam B. You said you saw them on 'the net' - can you tell me where and where I might be able to get one?

Thanks, Tony (tonyndianne)
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 10:05 am   #75
Station X

I've made a few record/playback cams. The problem is that there are several types and without samples or detailed drawings it's difficult to replicate an original cam exactly.

Am I correct in thinking that in the case of record/playback cams, like those pictured in post #1, only two of the flats on the cams actually do anything?

If this is the case, then manufacturing cams could be greatly simplified, as the only important measurements are the angle of the two flats relative to the straight sides of the centre hole and their "lift".

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 11:09 pm   #76
Station X

Here's a cam I made based on a drawing I produced from what I believe was a 4000DS cam. It is 7mm thick.

It's a snug fit on a shaft 0.235" diameter and 0.175" across the flats.

I've shown the angles and lift of what I believe to be the working flats of the cam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4000DSLIFT.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	70361   Click image for larger version

Name:	4000DSANGLES.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	70362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852 (459x500).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	70363  

Old 4th Sep 2012, 6:51 pm   #77
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Graham,

The only important flat/angle is the one on the opposite side to the screw.

Colin.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 8:31 am   #78
tonyndianne
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Here's a cam I made based on a drawing I produced from what I believe was a 4000DS cam. It is 7mm thick.

It's a snug fit on a shaft 0.235" diameter and 0.175" across the flats.

I've shown the angles and lift of what I believe to be the working flats of the cam.
Thanks for info. Looks good. Mine is a little more complex it's got a broken lifting pin on the back, which is broken into a few pieces, I would have to get exact measurements and get back to you. If you could make the cam (I could send the cam to you in pieces) I could probably fabricate the pin at back. Any idea roughly what this might cost, I can get back to you. Thanks, Tony.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 9:13 am   #79
Station X

Is it a cam like that shown in post #18 in this thread?

The cam in post #76 was made using a CNC Milling Machine. "Two dimensional" cams like these are relatively easy to make given an accurate drawing in .DXF or .DWG format.

A cam like that in post #18 would be more difficult to make. In addition to the basic outline, a boss would need to be machined on one side and the lifting pin on the other.

I can foresee a couple of problems.

The shaft hole has to be cut with a small diameter cutter in order to get into the corners. Given the length of cutters available cutting a hole more than about 7mm deep is not possible.

The outline of the cam is a complex shape with several internal corners. These could not be sharp corners, but would have to match the cutter radius which probably means a minimum of 1mm radius.

Of course if some parts of the outline are redundant it might be possible to simplify the outline.

Old 6th Sep 2012, 9:04 am   #80
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

The cam as in post 78 is one of the pair on the top right of the machines, operating the various mechanical part, as per attached.

Colin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010033.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	70425  
Closed Thread