UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2008, 6:38 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Mr. Michaelis's Projects!

Hi!

Has anyone ever had a go at Martin Michealis's Projects?

He started the ball rolling in Autumn 1961 with a massive great "Experimenter's Power Pack" in PW then progressed through the pages of PW and PT with Pulse Generators, Geiger Counters, Valve and Transistor Analysers (not just "testers"), a "Tritch" for Field-sequential CTV experiments, and several squigglegraphs of assorted complexity!

I know I shouldn't belittle my betters as Mr. Michealis has forgotton more about circuit design than I can ever hope to learn in my lifetime, but I have to confess to a few disrespectful titters at some of his panel-labelling, as he sometimes lettered his controls in a mixture of English and German!!!

For all that though he always explained his projects very thoroughly and tried to make sure there weren't any annoying uncertainties, but I think he fell down with his "Videoscope MV3" - I think this relied too much on professionally-produced metalwork!

His other forte was his Mains Transformers - did he have a friendly Coil Winders near to where he lived?! His trannys always had the most odd assortment of windings and HT tappings that none of the contemporary suppliers of the time admitted to stocking - and you can't get the Mains Transformer kits any more!!!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 2nd Jun 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 6:48 pm   #2
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Default Re: Mr. Michealis's Projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
He started the ball rolling in Autumn 1961 with a massive great "Experimenter's Power Pack" in PW
Funny you should mention this... I've been wanting to construct said Power Pack since I first came across Jan 1962 PW, and have been steadily amassing the following issues since. It doesn't half run on - 5 or 6 months in total I think. I got them all at Harpenden, and am now equipped to make a start - parts, woodwork and source of huge amounts of free time notwithstanding
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 7:03 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Best Of Luck Sir!

Can I draw your attention to his Follow-Up Article - "Neons in the Experimenters Power Pack" - this explains thoroughly how the neons can oscillate under certain conditions of current-starvation due to their inherent negative-resistance characteristic that occurs just after their striking-point.

The article documents a number of changes that are worth incorporating from the outset! I had thought of building one myself but I don't have enough valved equipment to warrant the cost!

Chris Williams
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 8:45 pm   #4
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Best Of Luck Sir!
Why thank you! I'll be sure to keep the forum posted as to how it goes, when I finally get round to making a start on it

Quote:
Can I draw your attention to his Follow-Up Article - "Neons in the Experimenters Power Pack" - this explains thoroughly how the neons can oscillate under certain conditions of current-starvation due to their inherent negative-resistance characteristic that occurs just after their striking-point.

The article documents a number of changes that are worth incorporating from the outset!
You certainly can. Helpfully, at the end of the last article in May 1962 PW, it states "A supplementary article on the Experimenter's Power Pack will appear shortly - ED." so I kept checking the following issues (the seller I got them from at Harpenden had seemingly the whole of 1962) and sure enough, there it is in the June and July issues, so I bought those too.

Quote:
I had thought of building one myself but I don't have enough valved equipment to warrant the cost!
I certainly do And decent HT power supplies are rare, expensive or both.

I could be tempted to scan this series of articles and post them actually, if anyone else would be interested in building this beast?
Old 4th Jun 2008, 12:06 am   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Re: Mr. Michaelis's Projects!

Please do - I'm in the process of trying to get a decent bench PSU setup

Dom
Old 16th Jun 2008, 12:16 am   #6
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Default Re: Mr. Michaelis's Projects!

Right ho - I'll get onto it (might be a few days).
Closed Thread