UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2008, 5:18 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default Nelsons hat.

Well, okay, so it isn't electrical. But It is similar to rebuilding a cabinet, so I thought I'd show you guys my entry for GCSE woodwork. My teacher (Smith) insists on refering to it as 'Nelsons Hat', and the name has kinda stuck. So, whilst it wont be winning any fashion contests, I hope my nan likes it.

The frame was built from 3mm ply, the ends were filled in with MDF and sanded into profile. The finish is rosewood veneer and teak stain. The movement was given free by a clock repair guy in Salisbury, and much of the rest was scavenged out the scraps bin.

The base was created from my nans old cutlery draw, a worthy donation in the name of thrift! Total expenditure:
£5 for ancient veneer
£3 teak stain.
£10 ply sheet.

The dimantled draw, ready to be sanded down and cut into useable parts:
[IMG]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4...2459zz9.th.jpg[/IMG]

Building up the frame in the early days:
[IMG]http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/112...2543av0.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/394...2542uw8.th.jpg[/IMG]

The net result:
[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/969/dscf0423gs5.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1...0425pf3.th.jpg[/IMG]
Old 15th Apr 2008, 5:19 pm   #2
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default Re: Nelsons hat.

[IMG]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5...0424ka9.th.jpg[/IMG]

I had many problems with the ancient veneer - it was too dry to cut without being soaked first, and as it dried with the PVA it would contract. whilst the front was fine the back section, a piece of heartwood, split. These splits were cut out with a stanley knife and filled in with beech strips before being sanded down. Still noticable, but I should get marks for the repair.

[IMG]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1...0426cb9.th.jpg[/IMG]

The movement requires winding every three days, but only gains two minutes in that time. There is a scratched off patch on the face - the reason why I received it as it couldn't be used in a restoration - but I don't mind. I plan to get some white enamel paint (My brother won't notice its missing. I hope...) and fill it in.

[IMG]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7...0428qw7.th.jpg[/IMG]

I've been cutting wood since the end of November, and finished it 4PM today. Now I have to get my coursework finished by friday, all 49 A3 pages of it...

Any compliments greatfully received, all disagreements keep to yourself!
Old 15th Apr 2008, 5:38 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

You are justifiably proud of what you've achieved, and why not! There is clearly a craftsman inside you wanting to burst free. Good luck with your coursework, and keep up the quest for ever-better personal standards. Be your own critic: stand back and take a look at your work whilst imagining someone else made it and has asked for your opinion. Its an old trick, but it helps objectivity. Sorry if I'm talking like a teacher, but that is what I was, for many years (Design and technology).
The veneer problem is common. You have to blot the stuff dry and leave for a day or so. Very tricky, but you've done extremely well with it, under the circumstances. The type of repair you mention can be found on much furniture from across the ages!
Best wishes for the exam.
-Tony
Old 15th Apr 2008, 6:08 pm   #4
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Nice work Rob! I think that the type of clock case that you have made was often referred to as a "Nelsons Hat" A lot of 1930s (and later) mantels would have had one of those sat on them. I have one with a broken mainspring. I would think that your experience with that will stand you in good stead when you get an old radio/TV cabinet to repair. A good use of second hand materials to be sure.

Ian.
Old 16th Apr 2008, 8:37 pm   #5
HMV 1120
Hexode

Thankyou both. I put on another layer of stain today before applying two coats of sanding sealer. After a rub down bees wax was used for the final polish. Sticky backed velvet lines the base, and I am almost done with the coursework.
Old 16th Apr 2008, 10:07 pm   #6
Tazman1966
Nonode

Excellent work Rob

I did O level (that dates me) woodwork and I must say my craftsmanship wasn't (and isn't) as good as yours.

Fingers crossed for your exams.

Cheers
Old 17th Apr 2008, 8:37 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

What a good job, Rob. I can see all the PMs landing in your inbox wanting radio cabinets restoring, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV 1120 View Post
The movement requires winding every three days, but only gains two minutes in that time.
If you want advice on these two items, and how to restore the dial, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit6345 View Post
Nice work Rob! I think that the type of clock case that you have made was often referred to as a "Nelsons Hat"
Napoleon, not Nelson, actually.
Quote:
I have one with a broken mainspring.
PM me if you need a spring, Ian.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 9:31 am   #8
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post

Napoleon, not Nelson, actually.

PM me if you need a spring, Ian.
I stand corrected and I knew that as well! Old age doesn't come alone. I will dig out my old clock and see if I can see what size spring it needs Mike. Rob's standard of woodwork is way beyond what I think I could achieve as I was never much good at woodwork, worse luck. Good luck with the rest of the exams Rob.

Ian.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 10:52 am   #9
HMV 1120
Hexode

I'll send you some messages soon Mike, just got to get the evaluation finished today and I'm done.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2...0430wh9.th.jpg
Old 17th Apr 2008, 6:51 pm   #10
JoshWard
Octode

Nice work! I'm still working my way through all the paperwork for my GCSE piece and have nearly finished making my scale model. I'm making a pair of speaker cabinets out of a mixture of teak and beech (although that's subject to change!). Hope all goes well with the final exam! (I had my mock this week)
Old 19th Apr 2008, 10:03 am   #11
HMV 1120
Hexode

Well Josh, take it from me - You won't end up with a time scale even remotely like your Gantt chart. Everything that could go wrong will, and even some things that shouldn't. I advise you leave as little coursework to the end as possible and that you photograph EVERYTHING you do. It's far easier to stick a photo and write a couple of sentences than it it is to paragraph your modifications. 'Time is a valuable resource. Do not waste it' etc etc ( The amount of times I've heard that other the last four months!)

At the end of the day, an A* folder without a finished project will only get you a D. So be prepared to work late. You will hate your speaker cabinets after awhile, but it will seem worth it when you finally see them in the store room finished.

Good luck!! And cheers with the exam. I bet get off this site now, I have some (i.e. 'lots') revision to do today!
Old 19th Apr 2008, 5:04 pm   #12
JoshWard
Octode

Thanks for the advice, I can already forsee most things going wrong but that's part of the fun
Resistant Materials is my favourite subject and the one I spend most time on so I won't be surprised if I work all night on the cabinets!
Best of luck with your exam! Josh.
Old 21st Apr 2008, 10:52 pm   #13
Sam
Hexode

I enjoyed my Resistant Materials GCSE too. It was the perfect antidote to the academic subjects as you could get involved with a practical project. I enjoyed the woodworking, an for my final piece I tried to make a steam engine, which didn't work particularly well. Still, I got to play with the metalworking lathe! I still want one...

Good Luck with your GCSEs both of you. Ignore the people who knock the qualifications as 'easier than they were in my day'. You still have to work hard to achieve a decent result.

Sam
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 1:20 am   #14
ben
Dekatron

happy days - I took GCSE CDT 'Craft design technology' I think...memory fades, it was almost 2 decades ago now!... designed and made a soldering iron stand for a minor project and a bike rack for the major project (still in use!). Learned lots of useful skills whic i still fall back on today, though I didn't really realise it at the time!.. I agree with not leaving anything vital to the end and agree with the photos. sound advice there. All the best to you both HMV and Josh!
Old 24th Apr 2008, 3:27 pm   #15
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

As we've had a comprehensive examination of Rob's clock-case and also had classrooms learning us the various projects of a handful of other members, we've decided this thread has come to the end of term and is now closed.

All puns intended and good luck with the projects and exams .
Closed Thread