UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2018, 6:41 pm   #1
gramophone1
Pentode

Default Modern MK Safety Plug. Not impressed

Hi.

I recently purchased some new MK Safety Plugs, and I have to say they are rubbish. The older ones are much, much better. The binding posts on the new ones snap when tightening the nut on the cable. The fuse holder moves around, and noticed the neutral pin also moves around. Everything on the older british made mk plugs were fixed firmly in place, and the silver fuse holder is much better than the modern copper fuse holder.

I now only use vintage british made plugs. They are a class above this modern MK plug.

Anyone had similar issues with new plugs ?
Old 15th Sep 2018, 7:06 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Modern MK Safety Plug. Not impressed

Hi,
I've had no experience of the new plugs since we've lived abroad for the last thirteen years, however, I thought the quality was falling when the last one I bought in the UK (and also some fused 5 amp BS546 plugs) had die cast nuts instead of brass ones.
The only problem I've had with the earlier plugs was one of the plastic cord grip 'thingies' breaking off as the plastic seemed to have become brittle over time.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 7:50 pm   #3
factory
Octode

Default Re: Modern MK Safety Plug. Not impressed

Is this the same problem you asked about in April?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145617

Could they be fakes?

David
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:00 pm   #4
gramophone1
Pentode

Thank you for the reminder.

I am sorry, i had forgot about that previous thread. I have not been on this site for awhile.

Doh ! Can`t even remember what threads I have posted.

I tried again using the newer mk plugs again this week. I didn't want to throw them out, so give them another try.

Still had the same problems. Poor quality plugs

Last edited by gramophone1; 15th Sep 2018 at 8:06 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:02 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramophone1 View Post
I recently purchased some new MK Safety Plugs, and I have to say they are rubbish.
This may sound daft but are you sure they are genuine? There are A LOT of fakes around. In my day job I work for a safety compliance test house and in the last few years we've had to test fake Apple chargers, fake fuses (yes), fake plugs and various home appliances all made to look like the originals. Copies of popular brands are prolific on-line and the fakers (at least the ones who don't get caught) are getting better at making the copies. The fact that it might have a BS kitemark on doesn't mean much....the safety marks can be faked as well.....

The plugs you have bought don't seem to be up to the usual high MK standard.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:19 pm   #6
gramophone1
Pentode

I guess it is possible they are fakes. I did get them on ebay . . . .
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:59 pm   #7
factory
Octode

It's probably best to send an email to MK with pictures, to find out if they can confirm if they are fakes or not. And if they are fakes I wouldn't be using them for anything and I would destroy them to prevent anyone else using them (it's not worth the risk).

David
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:13 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Contact MK (sorry for the pun). If the plugs are fake, they need to know. If the plugs are not fake, it will not hurt for them to lern that their quality has fallen so far that people are starting to think real ones are fake.

David
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:54 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

I bought some MK ones from RS a while back and they were rubbish too. One was cracked already. Could be a quality or cost cutting issue.

Honestly the cheap no brand ones on CPC are better these days.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:29 pm   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

Mk seem to be progressively moving production off-shore. The pendant set I bought last week was made in China, but fortunately no complaints about its quality. Unlike the MK cooker point with 13A socket about which I posted a while ago, where the retention of the transparent window for the neon indicators, and the neons themselves, was deficient/non-existent respectively.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:37 pm   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

Can you show some good clear pictures of a plug? Also show close-up of the pins where the copper part joins the plastic part.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:01 am   #12
gramophone1
Pentode

Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure how to upload photos on my threads.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 1:10 am   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650
Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:28 am   #14
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Mk seem to be progressively moving production off-shore. The pendant set I bought last week was made in China, but fortunately no complaints about its quality. Unlike the MK cooker point with 13A socket about which I posted a while ago, where the retention of the transparent window for the neon indicators, and the neons themselves, was deficient/non-existent respectively.
Got to say that Chinese manufacturing is top notch these days. They really knock out quality stuff. But only if you pay them to. If MK quality has gone down that’s down to them cutting costs not the suppliers who will sell to any price point.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:55 pm   #15
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I have a new box of ten MK Toughplug mains plugs, bought about a year ago. Taking the lid off one, inside each plug there is a "Made in Malaysia" sticker, and the quality is exceptional. Turned brass screws, apart from the L terminal and screw, which are silver plated. Everything is tight and does not wobble, and the fuse takes some force to remove and push back in place.

I took the lid of a few plugs on cables from an earlier box I bought some years ago. No Malasia sticker, so presumably made in the UK. The only difference is that the live terminal is brass, and not silver plated.

I'd say either that MK quality has really bombed in the last year, or the ones bought from eBay are fakes.

gramophone1, how much did you pay for your plugs, each?

Craig
Old 16th Sep 2018, 2:15 pm   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

As PR Officer for Crabtree, I wrote an article about how poor quality Chinese wiring accessories were flooding the market and were potentially dangerous even though, on the face of it, they met the required standards. And here we are 25 years later and we're still getting poor quality wiring accessories. I wouldn't be surprised if they're fake, equally I wouldn't be surprised if they're the real deal. The heart seems to have gone out of 'British' manufacturing these days, evidenced by the decision to get things made in the far east, quality be damned so long as it has the right stickers on it. Wiring accessories are now, more than ever, seen as commodity items and when a council or housing association buy them in, they generally go for the best deal that meets the spec, quality and reputation generally goes out of the door.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 2:47 pm   #17
paulsherwin

The market for domestically rewirable BS1363 plugs must be very small now. Appliances have been supplied with fitted plugs for many years, and I haven't had to buy one for literally decades. When an appliance is scrapped I chop the plug off and chuck it in a box in the cupboard under the stairs. Most of them are reasonable quality and certainly adequate for low current appliances. Any really trashy ones get binned.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 3:07 pm   #18

I am not surprised they are made in Malaysia, they use 13A sockets too. The last ones I got where very good.

Old 16th Sep 2018, 4:33 pm   #19
gramophone1
Pentode

I bought six. They came in an mk cardboard box. Made in Malaysia. The fuse holder is copper, not brass. The fuse holder on the older ones are silver plated.

I am at a loss really. Maybe the seller knew they were defective, and sold them on instead of disposing of them correctly.

Lesson learned. Don't buy plugs off ebay.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 4:52 pm   #20
Oldcodger
Nonode

re #16 .I've just had my council place partially rewired and I mentioned MK to the sparky . He was of the opinion that MK were overpriced for the quantity and fitted Hagar fittings as approved by council.
Closed Thread