UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2012, 2:56 pm   #41
nbm7101
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ultra 6212 Reel to Reel 4 Track Recorder

Yes, the screening plate was bowed, so I eased it back straight.

Now for the next problems. My frequency meter is not functioning. If I tap it it flutters, but nothing happens when a mic is hooked up. I had a look at it from inside, I have secured it to its mount, and the light comes on when power is on, wires seem to be attached.

Also I have found out through tests that I can overdub onto prior recordings. This would be very useful to me, however you cannot hear the original recording while the new recording is in process, making syncing nearly impossible

Thank you
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 4:37 pm   #42
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

By "frequency meter", I assume you mean the record level meter, which is used to ensure the recorded signal onto the tape is neither too low or too high (resulting in background hiss and distortion, respectively). If it is of the type without "dB" (deciBel) scale numbers on it (i.e. just a blue, then red band), it will be an early (probably UK made and branded SMITHS) version and I have found these to be u/s at this time in their lives. Repair is unlikely. If it has the later type (marked "made in Germany") and with the "dB" markings, then it should be OK.

Without a working record level meter, it will be very difficult to adjust the recording level onto the tape correctly and you will have either low volume and hissy or high volume and distorted playback audio. You would have to make some test recordings at various settings of the record level control, until you found the approximately correct setting (when using your microphone).

When you make a new recording, the original on the tape (if present) should be fully erased (the erase head is the first tape head the tape passes over - from left to right, when looking from the front of the machine). If this isn't happening, then something is wrong, either mechanical or electronic.

As this tape recorder only has two heads (one erase, the other record AND playback), you cannot monitor what has just been recorded onto the tape whilst you are still making a recoding.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 25th Jun 2012, 3:17 pm   #43
gezza123
Heptode

Hi, ndm7101.
This BSR 6212 uses the thorn Deck DC43 and is available up (TOP) in service data.

Also you can get the BSR 6212 service data diagram.This should have the production preset adjustments in the manual for bias and meter calibration.

There is an exploded view of the deck in the Thorn DC43 manual, these two manuals will cover the Ferguson 3230/Marconi 4212 and Ultra 6212.

I do have the original manuals, But as they are for sale up (TOP) I can't post them on here.
Hope this helps Gezza
Old 11th Feb 2013, 12:54 am   #44
ill cursor
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and to the whole amazing reel to reel world.

I just recently bought an Ultra Model No. 6212 and am very excited to get it up and running. However, the 3-pin mains plug that it has is baffling me! I thought it'd be an easy task to find an adapter. I was mistaken! eek!

I've attached a photo of the plug. Does anyone recognize it? Is this a popular vintage standard? I've looked all over the net for adapters for such a style and no such like so far. Any info on how to adapt this to a modern UK plug would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much! cheers,
ill cursor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	76029  
Old 11th Feb 2013, 1:16 am   #45
Station X

Just fit a modern plug with a 3 Amp fuse to the flex.

Red to Live (L).
Black to Neutral (N).
Green to Earth (E).

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Feb 2013, 4:14 am   #46
emeritus
Dekatron

It looks like the plug of a 3-pole flex extender. AFAIK they were only ever sold in pairs, so you would only find the other half.
Old 11th Feb 2013, 10:13 am   #47
Nicklyons2
Octode

Yes it is definately an extender and they were sold in pairs and you can still buy them in 'rubber' versions. The 2 pole version is used alot in 'double insulated' outdoor stuff but he 3-pole is still available , the 3 pins with the centre one just out of line with the other 2. But having said that just get rid of it and put on a 13 A plug (with 2 or 3 Amp fuse). Remember OLD WIRING COLOURS red=brown=live black=blue=neutral green=grn/yellow=earth=ground. If you're desperate to keep it in period, if you pay for the postage, I can send you a 1960s 13Amp plug,
Nick
Old 12th Feb 2013, 5:14 pm   #48
ill cursor
Retired Dormant Member

Success!! Thanks folks! I rewired it to a regular 3 pin uk plug and presto! It works! Thanks so much for the tips. REALLY helped out. Also relieved the playback sounds decent.

I definitely owe you helpful people some beers! Cheers!

Now to figure out what cables it uses for line in and line out ...hopefully can get it to input into a 1/4 inch socket on my mixer.

Name:	$T2eC16h,!)kE9s4,Bum1BRBWNCyboQ~~60_1.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	76100

Last edited by ill cursor; 12th Feb 2013 at 5:35 pm.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 5:43 pm   #49
ill cursor
Retired Dormant Member

Maybe an adapter or cable something like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5-pin-a-din-...ontent=Unknown
Old 12th Feb 2013, 6:02 pm   #50
julie_m
Dekatron

Those look like 5 pin DIN sockets. Matching plugs are still available from Maplin and other outlets.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 6:07 pm   #51
ill cursor
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent! I was hoping that's what it would be. Well, at least it's worth the few quid for an attempt. Cheers.

Love this forum!
Old 13th Feb 2013, 3:07 pm   #52
ill cursor
Retired Dormant Member

It worked! That 5 pin DIN converted output perfectly to 1/4 inch into my mixer. I can sample perfectly. Sounds pretty warm and nice too.

If I can push my luck a bit further... still scratching my head on how to get a line-in input into it. I tried simply putting the 5 pin DIN into the various input slots but no luck. The thing I find confusing in the manual is how it outlines the instructions. Is there some sort of jumper switch that needs to be set to do various types of input? It often refers to which pin doing what.

Any help again would be great of course. Truly very thankful.

Cheers!
illc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(5).JPG
Views:	208
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	76143  
Old 7th Dec 2013, 4:23 pm   #53
timotheus
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I purchased the Marconi 4210 new in 1967 and is always the machine I turn to when asked to play back odd tapes found in attics etc.
I bought a Marconiphone 4210 for £44 new in summer 1966. Worked very well, although mechanically a bit noisy at 7.5 ips. The idler wheel was going round at a hell of a rate at that speed. I also used it as an amplifier (mono, of course) for a record deck I had (my father inserted a switch into the motor circuit). It seemed a really solid bit of machinery, and looked very sleek. I feel rather nostalgic seeing that photo - exactly the machine I had. I had endless reels of Beatles era music...
Old 8th Dec 2013, 8:41 pm   #54
retroteck
Tetrode

Just a timely warning when removing the chassis out of the cabinet for service on any of these Thorn DC43 tape deck recorders, ie Marconiphone 4210 etc.
I always remove the plastic motor fan before commencing work on these machines as the fan will jam on the work surface and will invariably break a blade off necessitating you break the opposite blade off to maintain balance with the motor running.
Secondly i also remove the tape counter as when turning the chassis upside down on a hard surface will most likely break off the black plastic reset buton ruining the counter and it is virtually impossible to repair.
These recorders can sometimes suffer from the 'play' key breaking off as these keys are a bit flimsy but usually respond to Araldite etc.
Apart from these service warnings, as other people have said they are a great machine with a sound quality as good as far more expensive machines, are reliable, don't suffer from decomposing rubber and has a superb bias oscillator design using both halves of a dedicated ECC82 in a push pull arrangement.

Rod
Old 8th Dec 2013, 9:08 pm   #55
ben
Dekatron

Incidentally, in response to an earlier post about monitoring - I seem to recall the 4 track models supplied a free head output signal to the round multi pin AUX socket, presumably for use with slide synchronisers etc. So you would be able, technically, to hear what is on the other track as you lay down a new one.

Will check my documentation.
Old 8th Dec 2013, 11:27 pm   #56
ben
Dekatron

Pins 8 and 9 give the 'free head' signal. If you amplify this (a phono or mic preamp may do the job) then you can monitor off-tape. your diagram above has the pinout in fact. Be careful as there is 32v on pin 3!
Old 9th Dec 2013, 9:51 am   #57
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Pins 8 and 9 give the 'free head' signal. If you amplify this (a phono or mic preamp may do the job) then you can monitor off-tape. your diagram above has the pinout in fact. Be careful as there is 32v on pin 3!
Hello,

Or look out for a Thorn TA01 "Synchro Amp" unit, which was designed to be used with the 9 pin "Aux" socket on these nice machines. The TA01 is a preamp for the unselected head (for playing back stereo tapes through a second amplifer for the other channel) and a tape-slide synchroniser unit.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 11th Dec 2013, 1:52 am   #58
retroteck
Tetrode

As Timotheus says these machines were a bit noisy at 7.5ips as was the Philips EL3549 at the same speed, both machines using idlers for capstan drive.
His point about using it as an amplifier reminded me that once I had the transistorized stereo version for a short while and was disappointed to find that the only way to do this was to have the machine in record/pause mode.

Rod
Closed Thread