UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2010, 4:53 pm   #1
Mikebay
Rest in Peace

Default Where can we get new reel to reel tape??

I've tried all the sources I can think of, to no avail. Yes, there is "new" tape available on Ebay, but how long has it been hanging around.

My 2 recorders are both long in the tooth, as 'twere, one is an Akai GX220D, rescued literally from the skip, now showing signs of being a good 'un, the other is a lovely old valved Revox G36.

If anyone can help with info or tape, it would be much appreciated, all costs reimbursed, of course.
Regards to all,
Mike M0XGG
Old 11th Jun 2010, 4:57 pm   #2
Dave Anderson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Where can we get new reel to reel tape??

Hi Mike,

Have you tried Canford Audio in Washington, Tyne and Wear or Studiospares in London?

Dave
Old 11th Jun 2010, 5:06 pm   #3
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

http://www.protape.co.uk/
http://www.stanleysonline.co.uk/
http://www.svsmedia.orangehome.co.uk/wa2.htm
Old 11th Jun 2010, 5:21 pm   #4
paulsherwin

You can safely buy 1980s Maxell R2R tape on eBay. I know of no cases where this tape has deteriorated through age, and it will suit your Akai recorder very well, though the bias requirement of XL may be a bit high for the Revox resulting in some HF lift. Used examples are also usually safe buys too, as this tape was mostly bought by domestic hifi enthusiasts and well looked after.

Paul
Old 12th Jun 2010, 11:34 am   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Don't forget that nearly all new tape is matt carbon-black backed tape for professional machines and that older decks with pressure pads need the glossy backed tape still available - just - but from only one or two dealers/makers. This appears to be the BASF LP35LH.

Barry
Old 12th Jun 2010, 12:51 pm   #6
SteveCG
Nonode

Re: BASF LP35LH

Mike - please be aware that any BASF LP35LH you come across nowadays may be suffering from the fatal "oxide shedding syndrome" (discussed elsewhere on this forum). Certainly LP35LH is smooth backed and is of a bias level more likely to suit the machines you have, although I have a suspicion that the G36 may require even older (and lower bias requiring) tapes such as Scotch 150/215. That may not be a problem is you can alter the G36's bias level easily (It's not a machine I have experience with).

My experience with LP35LH, which I had used as my standard tape for a decade was that it was a complete write-off. A quick test for stickiness is to get hold of a spool and whilst holding it vertically, just hand turn some tape off and see if it hangs smoothly when unspooling. If it does hang vertically then things look optimistic. Of course the definitive way is to lace some up on your machine and play it for a short time and examine the tape guides and heads for significant accumulations of oxide. If you play it for a long time you might find you have a really big mess to clean up!

On the positive side, pre-low-noise tapes LGS35, LP35, Scotch 150/215 seem not to suffer so much from oxide shedding (an earlier oxide formulation?) so there is hope for your G36.
Old 12th Jun 2010, 3:23 pm   #7
brenellic2000
Octode

... yet I've never had any problems with 'old' LP35LH of the 1970s, though I understand later batches did shed oxide. LGS35 and LP35 is brilliant!

One reference I have is that all the American companies got their binder from one firm; when they stopped production, they sourced a new binder from another company - I believe Pfizer -which may account for oxide shedding problems. Scotch tapes sold in the UK came from America, France, Italy and Wales - I believe the Welsh-made tape is OK. Its probable they sourced a binder from the UK - dare I suggest "Essence of leak and daffodil"?

Barry
(Welsh ancestors!!)
Old 12th Jun 2010, 5:18 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The G36 works fine with matt backed tape, and can bias and saturate PEM468 or equivalent. It may not erase it completely, though.
Old 12th Jun 2010, 7:04 pm   #9
Mikebay
Rest in Peace

Folks,
Thank you all very much for your great advice. I have got about 10 reels of professionally recorded (ex-studio) tape of various makes on 10.5 NAB in. reels, I'll try the "drop test" on some of this, and if good I'll re-spool some onto smaller reels for the Akai. I'll also try your suggestions for supplies of new tape,
Old 12th Jun 2010, 9:06 pm   #10
Electricdreams
Hexode

http://www.canford.co.uk/Browse/87650
Old 18th Jun 2010, 9:17 pm   #11
P.Pilcher
Pentode

www.downsoft.co.uk advertise the availability of Ampex reel to reel tape if this is of any help.

P.P.
Old 28th Feb 2011, 7:59 am   #12
aussiepete
Retired Dormant Member

RMG international in holland are using the old emitape equiptment and produce a fair range of studio and master tapes..i have just purchased a few reels "Panckes" from the Queensland distributor here in brisbane,but havent recorded on it yet awaiting a part from the net, so i guess wherever you live someone must stock it here is the website. www.rmgi.nl
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 7:14 pm   #13
ruffrecords
Retired Dormant Member

I have some for sale - check out here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66269

Cheers

Ian
Closed Thread