UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2018, 8:04 pm   #21
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Default Re: Hoover LOGIC 1300 A3792

Also, you say the pump is rusted and jammed.

Maybe the pump needs to be working in order to allow the machine to trigger a high speed spin?

Just another thought

Peter.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 2:44 pm   #22
bikelectro
Pentode

Thanks for the ideas. I had another look. The pump is jammed but winding is ok. I disconnected it but realised that the inlet valves wont energise without it so connected it again ( i heard some machines are wired this way which is sensible ) I blew into the pressure switch and it makes three healthy clicks - so it isn’t jammed which might cause the machine to “think” there’s still water inside.
I wanted to but today decided the tub is too leaky to put the machine through a wash cycle.
Both motors on the back of the timer are operating. I have set it to the start of several wash programmes and it switches on the inlets and on some it turns the drum slowly as you’d expect. It only ever turns the drum slowly clockwise. On the faster spin program, near the end it seems to make a different tone from the motor, but speed much the same ( sort of wash speed ) The motor isn’t getting very warm. I checked the control PCB, looks fine, nothing distressed or burnt, no dry joints. I have clobbered the timer, flexed wires etc. But i cannot figure out what would cause it not to spin! I have also tried a spin position in the middle of a wash program - same slow speed. I wish i knew how to test to determine if the timer is ok.
A member has told me back plates can be had for these and not to scrap it! I know its not Meile or AEG, but dont fancy the chance of finding one of those!
If i can determine motor and timer are likely ok ( without filling it with water ) then i may spend on the backplate and find a pump.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 3:03 pm   #23
Lancs Lad
Heptode

My machine has a button on the front marked 'No Spin', which cancels out the final spin at the end of a wash cycle.

I wonder if yours has a similar button which might be faulty, or somehow stuck in the 'on' position? The actual button on the front panel might still look as though it is 'off' though, if you see what I mean!

Worth a look, maybe.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 16th Dec 2018 at 3:12 pm. Reason: additional idea
Old 16th Dec 2018, 5:48 pm   #24
bikelectro
Pentode

There’s a pusbutton unit which has a spin cancel button, this is non - latching. I took this out, dismantled and cleaned but all looked in order. The spin neon is lit and remains so after i have pushed the spin cancel button.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 6:02 pm   #25
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Oh, well - worth a try!

If I think of anything else I'll post it up.

Peter.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 6:34 pm   #26
Radio Wrangler

There will be a PCB with a triac motor speed controller and there is likely to be a magnetic speed transducer on the motor. Water damage?

David
Old 16th Dec 2018, 8:40 pm   #27
bikelectro
Pentode

There likely has been drips onto the motor, but not on the brushes end. Because of the lacquer, it seems all fine and there seems to be no damage. I thought any damage to the sensor would result in the motor racing too fast. It does seem to be at a controlled low wash speed. Lancs lad, what model is yours?
Old 17th Dec 2018, 1:04 am   #28
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Sorry, bikelectro, I haven't actually got a Hoover WM.

I was only suggesting the things that prevent my own machine from spinning sometimes, and wondering if they might apply to yours in some way.

Sorry if I misled you at all!

Peter.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:51 am   #29
duncanlowe
Nonode

On a Hoover WM I once fixed there was a relay that switched the motor between parallel and series running for wash / spin. Can't remember which was which. The solder joints on the relay coil failed so it remained in wash position. I doubt it's the same issue because when it happened, the machine tried to apply full power while the motor was in the wrong configuration so blew a track on the PCB. You would be able to see if it were this. But it has to be worth checking the relay if it has one.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 1:31 pm   #30
Refugee
Dekatron

Relays sometimes go open circuit on white appliances.
I had that problem with a gas boiler. The contacts just erode away and the manual says replace the board. Farnell do relays with the same part number for gas boilers so I fixed it with a like for like part.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 2:01 pm   #31
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Some were DC motors, most were AC with triac on the control board, If you short the triac it should go to spin speed.
Check the tacho generator on the rear of the motor, if it is O/C it will not spin only distribute and wash. The shaft magnets have been known to come loose.
The fact the pressure switch clicks 3 times is no guarantee it is OK on all contacts .
Old 17th Dec 2018, 9:22 pm   #32
bikelectro
Pentode

Thanks for all the ideas. I found the tacho, no problems or water damage. I screwed the coil off and there’s a circular ceramic magnet on the end of shaft. The coil measured about 100 ohms and on 2.5VAC range I get a small reading when I turn the motor.
I was wrong before about the buttons it has a row of seven switches and a row of neons. One button isn’t latching, it is the crease guard, not the spin cancel as I had thought. When I push and hold it, The crease guard neon comes on, but with it out, it glows faintly, all others are completely out when not selected.
I need somebody who has experience on this particular model. Maybe it is a fault in the electromechanical timer or the small speed module, there are no relays or anything else. I previously thought it was meant to not latch, but it would seem that a small plastic part must have fallen out.
Closed Thread