UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2018, 10:31 pm   #1
markallanwainwr
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pioneer CT-300 Belts

I've just spent the last few hours trawling trough the pages for info/advice concerning a Pioneer CT 300 cassette player. Found a few pages relevant but they were in closed threads. I need to replace the belts but I have no idea how to go about it, of course I need to clean up the black mess left by the old ones.
Is it something a complete novice could do? I'm not an idiot, a marine engineer by trade. I've got the service manual, got all the time in the World and a selection of about 50 belts....surely 3 must be the right size? Can anyone offer advice please how I should tackle this task?
Old 29th Jun 2018, 4:48 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer CT-300 Belts

You can get the service manual for this deck from hifiengine (you have to register with them, but it's free).

I've just looked at said manual, most of it is on the electronic side. The only really relevant page is an exploded diagram of the mechanism, which does show the belts. I guess they thought that replacing the belts was pretty obvious given that diagram and having the machine in front of you. The only thing I would add is do not touch any of the screws on the tape head mountings (there is no reason why you would but...) as you would then have to do the full alignment which needs an 'azimuth' tape.

The capstan belt looks like a flat one in the diagram, do you have any of those?
Old 29th Jun 2018, 4:40 pm   #3
markallanwainwr
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess we are looking at the same diagram? The mechanism assembly(2) needs to come out for ripping apart to replace belts. To do that I must remove chassis (32). I'll give it a go later, worse that can happen is I break something that's not working!
In my collection of belts I don't have any flat ones but I have just ordered a mixed selection of belts, maybe I'll get lucky there?
Old 29th Jun 2018, 7:26 pm   #4
markallanwainwr
Retired Dormant Member

Now got it stripped down and cleaned, waiting for my assorted belts to arrive from China, pray 3 of them fit.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:46 pm   #5
yesnaby
Octode

I have one of these. I remember about 10 years ago fitting new belts, this was extremely fiddly, I ended up not bothering with one belt but the deck seemed to work OK. Haven't used it in a while so maybe it all needs doing again!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=52163
Old 14th Jul 2018, 7:41 pm   #6
markallanwainwr
Retired Dormant Member

Just got a selection of belts from China on eBay, the flat belt was not in packet but a regular belt seems to have done the job. All three belts fitted, put back together (have one screw left over, don't you hate that), tested and running fine. After just sitting around doing nothing for about 30yr it's now back running, just a bit of work on amp and cassette player and I now have a good old stack system.
Old 14th Jul 2018, 10:42 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Good stuff. Most stuff is tolerant of belt profiles so long as the diameter is reasonably close. It's always worth trying the cheap Chinese assortments unless performance is critical.
Closed Thread