UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2018, 4:29 pm   #21
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Ferranti A1016 bluetooth project

1:1 RS transformer.
I doubt the heater winding will have any problem supplying 50mA extra, all the valve filaments together could be that far out anyway.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 4:41 pm   #22
Ambientnoise
Heptode

If you use a half wave rectifier, you will retain a common ground and not need a coupling transformer?

Ken
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 10:51 pm   #23
egerton
Pentode

I don't think I could get enough DC out of a 1/2 wave on the heater supply. I reckon on 6.3 x 0.45 = 2.8V (less allowing for diode fwd drop?). My full wave gives (6.3 x 1.414) - (2 x 0.7) = 7.5V and I just about get enough headroom to drive a regulator with some decent smoothing capacitor.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 11:03 pm   #24
egerton
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
1:1 RS transformer.
I doubt the heater winding will have any problem supplying 50mA extra, all the valve filaments together could be that far out anyway.
Thanks, I have ordered similar. I note most are 600 ohm. Not sure if that matters for my application, but I'll see how I get on with it.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 11:16 pm   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

one of these will contain 2 line-level audio transformers.

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/b07...op%20isolator#

The beauty is that the plastic casing can either be retained or split open as it's only held together by its sticky labels.
Old 4th Jul 2018, 11:09 am   #26
Ambientnoise
Heptode

The half wave rectifier will actually give a higher peak rectified voltage (one less diode) but of course will need about 4 times the smoothing cap because of the higher ripple at 50Hz versus 100Hz. You might also consider a low dropout regulator, several good chips or diy !

Ken
Old 4th Jul 2018, 2:16 pm   #27
egerton
Pentode

hmmm not convinced. Anyway, I don't want to have a large smoother as it will increase switch on surge current. I already have 500 uF on the full wave to keep the rail from dipping and I'd need even more on half wave. Thanks - Paul
Old 4th Jul 2018, 2:30 pm   #28

Yes, half wave will be fine, say 6.3V RMS, that's nigh on 9V peak, less diode drop and using 1000uF of smoothing and you will have at least 8V to feed a 7805 regulator. Do put 10nF or so across the diode to stop switching noise.

A quick simulation at 50mA gives a minimum voltage of just over 7V, more than enough for a low drop out 7805 type of regulator. And a whole 1/2W extra from the transformer, no problem there either.

Old 4th Jul 2018, 3:22 pm   #29
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Switch-on surge will be a second or so and unlikely to cause problems. It will prob be limited by the transformer winding rather than the esr of the cap.
Of course, go with whatever you are comfortable with, it’s your radio !
Ken
Old 5th Jul 2018, 9:40 am   #30
PJL
Dekatron

You are using full wave rectification? The trick here is to use Schottky diodes. A 1N5819 as an example has a forward voltage of <0.45V.
Old 5th Jul 2018, 9:49 am   #31
egerton
Pentode

Yes I am using full wave (1N4001) components I had to hand but I may change these for Schottky diodes to get more head room even though the regulator seems to be coping ok - thanks for the heads up. I may also try 1/2 wave in light of other posts here to see if that works out ok. It's fun to refresh my basic electronics. Thanks to all ideas here! Paul
Old 7th Jul 2018, 10:22 am   #32
egerton
Pentode

I'm now satisfied with how it works and with little impact on the original circuit. I couldn't get the 1/2 wave idea working (#22) as there was still the problem of the heater line being grounded to the sets signal ground and I didn't want to change that so I used a small 1:1 coupling transformer and it works a treat. I think it has given the set a useful technology update and I can now stream internet radio, phones and any other bluetooth source to the set simply by pressing the 'Gram' button on the set. All 3 radio bands work as before so I can still use them too. I will put a removable bluetooth symbol on the front panel glass as a talking point. Thanks for all who helped with suggestions. Paul
Old 7th Jul 2018, 12:20 pm   #33
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Paul, glad you got it working, it is a good way to update a vintage set. I am curious though as to why a half wave rectifier did not work. This retains the original connection of the heater supply (one side grounded) and therefore the Bluetooth negative supply line and signal common grounded too. Perhaps a hum loop or excessive ripple caused the problems. I would have expected that “floating” the Bluetooth module off the sets ground would have caused more problems but clearly not, given the signal transformer.
I am just (technically) puzzled but great if your solution works. It does have the advantage of keeping the mains transformer balanced.

Regds

Ken
Old 9th Jul 2018, 11:06 am   #34
egerton
Pentode

It goes something like this:- I am deriving a new DC supply (5V) from a heater winding, and that heater winding is connected to the sets chassis and signal ground rail in the set. In isolation this is fine to power my module, but between the ground (0V) of my new supply and the ground of the set it is effectively "modulated" by the 6.3V AC of the heater supply. If I connect my oscilloscope between my 0V and the sets chassis i "see" the heater supply AC. In other words, my 0V is at the heater potential at all times. When I first connected the o/p of my module to the gram i/p of the set it blew the module - in fact I saw a spark when I connected the signal screen to ground. ouch! RIP module. Take 2 and with a tiny little coupling transformer all seem happy.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 11:16 am   #35
ms660
Dekatron

There's a difference between a half wave rectifier and a full wave bridge rectifier, in your receiver and with no isolation a full wave bridge rectifier will blow something, a half wave rectifier won't.

Lawrence.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 11:33 am   #36
egerton
Pentode

I tried it and got the same result. Perhaps with hindsight I needed to make sure I used the correct side of the heater winding for 0V? One side goes to chassis the other the heater chain. I didn't think about that as it's just A/C and so just connected a diode to one side...may have been the wrong side? Oh well I'm still living and learning.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 11:38 am   #37
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, rectifier connected to the wrong side from the sounds of it.

Lawrence.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 12:17 pm   #38
egerton
Pentode

This thread may be useful info. for anyone contemplating such a conversion. I will stick with the full wave solution as the module load varies quite a lot and getting a stable supply wasn't achieved without significant smoothing (currently 660uF) and I didn't want to use even bigger smoothing cap. I am waiting for the Schottky diodes to arrive to see how that works out, hopefully improving my DC headroom and making the regulators job at bit easier. I'd like to try this conversion on one of my AC/DC sets with a dropper. Where to derive the supply? A future project.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 1:30 pm   #39
Ambientnoise
Heptode

I guess I just don't understand but you have a working solution so well done. Schottky diodes should certainly help the voltage headroom.

Ken
Old 9th Jul 2018, 4:27 pm   #40
egerton
Pentode

Thanks Ken. Looking at the attached circuit snippet, you can see the heater winding labelled (C) connects to C on the heater feed and is shown bridged across to the sets ground. I think it's important NOT to put the diode on that side. I haven't gone back and tried it on the (A) side but it seems likely it was the problem, as it should work on 1/2 wave as you say.
Closed Thread