UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2020, 12:18 pm   #21
rontech
Heptode

Default Re: Best typical 1930s table set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
Well Andy, if you want something that is obtainable for your collection, won't break the bank and will fit with your criteria and give you something that is actually really worth listening to, and by that I mean is in itself able to give excellent quality, make the best of the available signal and will be able to deal with some level of interference I would suggest a Murphy A50 ( no I am not biased at all...) or an HMV 469. Both are larger table models. Both have front RF stages, excellent signal to noise, large speakers and excellent amplifier stages. If you really want to go big and heavy then the HMV 650 with P-P output is very nice, but the difference in perceived quality is marginal for the extra size.
Having all three of these sets here and running, I still go for the Murphy A50 simply because it has a crisper treble reproduction than the EMI sets. A violin solo in an orchestral piece is so real! The only downside of the A50 is the fact that most of them have part of the dial markings rubbed away due to the shrinkage of the celluloid dial cover that then rubs on the revolving drum.
Mike...

There is an interesting BBC report 1940's on the 650 with reference also to a Murphy competitor radio

Report No C035 June 1945 Byfield and Maurice. ( Report serial No 145?/21)

A google search will locate a download link
Old 24th Sep 2020, 1:20 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I hadn't noticed Andy's two or three Band limitation when I nominated the A92
[post 14]. It looks very stylish, sounds very good and has an RF stage [they were utilised during the war when "communications receivers" were in short supply]. I've always thought of it as a premier thirties set but I now see that they came out in April 1940 so technically, not the thirties! An expensive set at £16 plus 1/3 purchase tax [after October] which took it to £21 . I'm not sure if SW listening/bands were just an affectation and not used but it's an interesting question.

What would you think about the A50 v the A92 just on sound quality alone Clive?
You've certainly spent a fair amount of time with Frank's products

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Sep 2020 at 1:26 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 3:43 pm   #23
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I have an EKCO ACT96 which I completely rebuilt from scratch (including recreating the tuning dial) as it was in one heck of a state when I got it.

It performs extremely well and never fails to draw interest from visitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200924_152816.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	216330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0685.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	216331  

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 24th Sep 2020, 6:27 pm   #24
MurphyNut
Heptode

So many lovely 1930's radios to chose from, My favourite is a Murphy A30, quite understated in its design but a beautifully made and sounding radio and not too big as pre-war sets go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Murphy A30.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	216348  
Old 25th Sep 2020, 9:09 am   #25
alanmoore
Tetrode

The Murphy A30 is also a particular favourite of mine .It is the first radio a remember in our kitchen was I was a small child in the early 1960's.
Many happy memories of listening to listen with mother and Housewives choice and two way family favourites.
A little later on I discovered pirate stations ,such a Radio Caroline ,Radio London , and Radio City .
This Radio is now in my brothers house and as far as I know .it is still in working order
A radio with great sentimental value to me .
They are not that rare and not too expensive and not too complex either.
Regards
Alan
Old 25th Sep 2020, 9:34 am   #26
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would plump for a late 1930s EMI built, HMV or Marconi table radio ideally with an RF stage. These sets used a large mains-energised elliptical speaker and gave a very rich, if somewhat coloured "one-note" bass, sound. It's the sound I grew up with and still have a great affection for.....
Old 25th Sep 2020, 12:29 pm   #27
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The large Bush table models from the mid 1930s have much to be said for them. A real favourite here is an SAC25, 1935, superb period sound from a large energised Rola speaker driven by an ACO44 triode - which may be regarded as a downside on account of the inflated market for such things, but in keeping the set intact whether with the specified valve or a modification you're helping conserve an endangered species. Mine cost me all of two bob (£0.10) in 1969. I'm reluctant to confess just how little service attention it's received since then, though I did once take a finger of emery paper to the wavechange switch contacts (they're not wafer style, I hasten to add). Very sturdily built indeed, in a restrained style with idiosyncratic tuning pointer, a moving bar of light from a slotted drum.

Paul
Old 25th Sep 2020, 2:15 pm   #28
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I would plump for a late 1930s EMI built, HMV or Marconi table radio ideally with an RF stage. These sets used a large mains-energised elliptical speaker and gave a very rich, if somewhat coloured "one-note" bass, sound. It's the sound I grew up with and still have a great affection for.....
I agree with your choice, however:-

Our family radios were a Marconi 564 console and an HMV650 table model. The loudspeakers were not mains energised. They were permanent magnet types.

Ref. radiomuseum site.

For model 10 Valve All-World Table Grand 650, His Master's Voice (Masters, HMV, H.M.V., Marconi); Hayes, Middlesex, GB:
Picture from 1938 HMV catalogue.

Manufacturer / Brand: His Master's Voice (Masters, HMV, H.M.V., Marconi); Hayes, Middlesex, GB
Year: 1937 Category: Broadcast Receiver - or past WW2 Tuner
Valves / Tubes 11: W63 X64 Z63 W63 CV51 W63 D63 Z63 KT63 KT63 U50
Main principle Superhet with RF-stage; ZF/IF 465 kHz; 2 AF stage(s)
Tuned circuits 7 AM circuit(s)
Wave bands Broadcast plus more than 2 Short Wave bands.
Details
Power type and voltage Alternating Current supply (AC) / 195-255 Volt
Loudspeaker Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil)
Power out 12 W (unknown quality)
from Radiomuseum.org Model: 10 Valve All-World Table Grand 650 - His Master's Voice Masters,
Material Wooden case
Shape Tablemodel, low profile (big size).
Dimensions (WHD) 19.75 x 23 x 12.5 inch / 502 x 584 x 318 mm
Notes

One of the first uses of the Octal series by HMV. 1935/36 design. Released 1937.
Uses the same Chassis as Model 655.

Chassis identical with Marconi 561, 2 SW and one "Ultra Short Wave" band to receive the TV sound from Alexandra Palace at 7,2 meters (41,5 MHz).
Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg) 28.9 kg / 63 lb 10.5 oz (63.656 lb)
Old 25th Sep 2020, 8:15 pm   #29
steve.seven
Pentode

Agree with the comments regarding the EMI radio's, very well built, good performance and very reliable too.

Use this Marconi 346 nearly everyday, also have a rather tatty HMV 480 .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02569.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	216413  
Old 25th Sep 2020, 8:40 pm   #30
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello all,

a lot of very interesting posts indeed! That makes me conclude that there is quite a number of very good quality radios of that specific era still preserved.

Makes me wonder if we should start another contrary thread "Your worst experience working on a 1930's radio" or "Things not worth any effort" ? This would surely produce interesting statements, too.

Regards, Joe
Old 27th Sep 2020, 3:15 pm   #31
beery
Heptode

Hi all,
thanks for all the replies.

I may have caues some confusion in that I'm not against short superhets where there is no RF amplifier, but more specifially against the Cossor 484 circuit. Would you call it a shorter superhet? It has no IF amplifier, so I'm not sure what the point of the frequency changer was. If you ant a good laugh have a look at trader sheet 252 to see what I mean.
The 484 has other nasty points, but I think I will start another thread on that.

So about suggestions so far. Single ended audio OP is ok with me as I'm not really after top end models. I would also steer clear of triode output stages for due to silly valve prices.

Peter, I really like the look of your EKCO ACT96, though it could be expensive.

Mike and Clive. Thanks for you Murphy suggestions, I do agree that the technical design is very good with Murphy's. The A30 is quite nice. I'm not so sure about the look of the A50, how about the A48 instead?

EMI sets. Yes they are great. Though I probably want something different. I already have a good radio in the HMV905 and of course I have the Marconi 262. The 262 is rather special to me as it was gifted to me by the widow of the late Phil Savage. Phil had a very large collection of radios. I got to know him quite well as he lived in the same street as my Gran in Weymouth.
The 262 does have the nasty "all the capacitors in one box" arrangement, but Phil had already restored it. Anyway, it really does sound great.

Paul, the SAC25 looks quite nice. How about the SAC31? That's more my style.

Can anyone tell me about Ultra sets? I restored one for someone many years ago. I remember it haveing coloured gels over the scale lamp so that the colour changed when you changed the waveband. Any good?

Also. I know that Philips superinductance sets were supposed to compete with superhets. Do they hold up well in reality?

Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread