UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2019, 10:26 am   #1
Restoration73
Nonode

Default KB International KR016

The case moulding says "Made in Southern Rhodesia" (Zimbabwe)
Was this set made under contract or was it an STC factory, only second time
I've had a set from this continent (previous one was Barlow Wadley)
Old 29th Jul 2019, 11:33 am   #2
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: KB International KR016

Might be made by Supersonic.
At least one ITT / KB / STC / RGD (all actually ITT) was maybe made by "KB" and Supersonic.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hers...ompany_id=4378
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolsterbr_kr016.html
Old 29th Jul 2019, 11:53 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

These are an solidly built quality radio, and are very rare. They are sought after as their audio amp is the basis of a Deacy guitar amp.
I hate to think how many of these rare radios have been gutted for the amp and the rest scrapped.
They were made by Supersonic in S. Rhodesia for KB, https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolsterbr_kr016.html.
There was also an RGD International RR214 https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rgd_in...nal_rr214.html

Supersonic also had their own version of this radio the PR80 which is probably even rarer, at least in the UK. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/supers...mam_pr_80.html

I would be interested to know where you found your one, I bet it was not eBay, they would probably sell for over £250 on Ebay. I have been offered far in excess of that for my ones by guitar enthusiasts who want to buy them.

Hang onto it as a rare find.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 29th Jul 2019 at 11:59 am.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:22 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

What makes it so special as a guitar amplifier?
Old 29th Jul 2019, 1:38 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
What makes it so special as a guitar amplifier?
Nothing at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacy_Amp

It's just a pity he didn't pull out, I don't know, a Fidelity Rad 15 say...

Paul
Old 29th Jul 2019, 2:04 pm   #6
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I agree, nothing special about the circuit or the transformers. The "sound" is easily replicated.

Typical wannabe musician superstition. As is ripping Ge audio transistors out of old radios to make guitar effects pedals.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 2:14 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Thought I was missing something.

Thanks for the information.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 2:18 pm   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

Thanks for the info. Fortunately it was surplus and I swapped for a nice reel to reel.
I only have a Calypso, and ITT Tiny Super, so nice to have.
And I recently found a ITT Polo S 109 for £1 at a rally, so bargains can be found.

The only weak spot on the KR016 is the rear feet-cum-rear cover retainers, this one
is affixed with duct tape.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 3:57 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

Yes, the feet/cover clips are a let down for what other wise is a substantially solid case with heavy steel chassis.

The output transformer is the item which makes this amp unique, it appears to be an auto transformer with 7 connections, (5 taps and the 2 ends).
It gives a particularly sweet distortion (to a guitarist) when fed from a treble booster and activating a 6 x 4 inch speaker.

Many have tried to emulate the sound making a replica amp from scratch, and in reality they probably have. (they just don't realise it) I have seen some perfectly made replica KR016 audio amps, replicated down to sourcing the exact same components off other vintage equipment to make them look authentic.

But it is rather like audiophoolery, if you know you don't have an original, what ever you make, however authentic it is and how ever much trouble you take over it, you will always know in your mind it is not the original Deacy Amp and hence your ears and brain will tell you its not right..
Even if you use the real amp from a KR016 you cannot be sure that the speaker and cabinet are exactly the same as the original.

In all reality it is the musical skill and the way the guitar is played that makes the real Brian May sound.

Anyway these radios should be preserved for what they are, they work surprisingly well, and for 1964 it is unusual to see a FM band going as high as 108.5MHz.

It was on one of these radios that I used to listen to the police when I was a youngster.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 29th Jul 2019 at 4:07 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 4:29 pm   #10
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
The output transformer is the item which makes this amp unique, it appears to be an auto transformer with 7 connections, (5 taps and the 2 ends).
It gives a particularly sweet distortion (to a guitarist) when fed from a treble booster and activating a 6 x 4 inch speaker
Please stop promulgating this myth. The sound is easily duplicated and there isn't actually anything unique.

This bit is totally true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
But it is rather like audiophoolery, if you know you don't have an original, what ever you make, however authentic it is and how ever much trouble you take over it, you will always know in your mind it is not the original Deacy Amp and hence your ears and brain will tell you its not right..
Even if you use the real amp from a KR016 you cannot be sure that the speaker and cabinet are exactly the same as the original.

In all reality it is the musical skill and the way the guitar is played that makes the real Brian May sound.
It's absolutely audiophoolery.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 4:46 pm   #11
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. Watterson View Post
Please stop promulgating this myth. The sound is easily duplicated and there isn't actually anything unique.
Just repeating what the guitarphools tell me.
But I agree one point with them, the output transformer design is unique to this radio and its cousins.

Mike
Closed Thread