UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2015, 10:24 am   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Unable to save pictures provided on posts

From time to time members provide photos for us to view and, as some contain useful information, I've always been able to save then to "My Pictures" files.

However, recently, this has not been possible as the reference for "Save Image As" is an unusual string of unsaveable code.

For example, a member has provided two pictures from a 1963 Mail Order catalogue, one for radios & another for taperecorders.

For example, here's the code for the radio page:
attachment.php?attachmentid=105936&d=1426970026

And here's the code for the tape recorders:
attachment.php?attachmentid=105937&d=1426970189

Is there a change in policy for downloading members photos or a glitch in the system?

Many thanks
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 10:40 am   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Unable to save pictures provided on posts

Hi Tony

Perhaps the problem is at your end, I am able to save pictures from the forum with no problem.
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 11:17 am   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Hmm.....but it's only on this site that I having this problem.

So, what code does it show for this picture?:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...489#post751489
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 11:25 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

No probs here too (Windows 7 and Firefox).

When I open that picture by clicking on the thumbnail, the following appears in the address bar: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...489#post751489 This seems to be the same as the "code" you describe, though note that an abbreviated form (with three dots) is displayed in our posts, as per normal vBulletin practice. This isn't relevant as regards saving the picture though.

I can then right click on it and choose Save Image As.

I can then choose which folder I want to save it in. Its default name is "Pages574" but I can change that to whatever I want.

Nick
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 11:30 am   #5
paulsherwin

Nothing has changed at the forum end that I'm aware of.
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 11:50 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

I'm not having any problems on any other sites and I can save pictures from a site where a member has provided a link to a picture. In fact I've just saved a picture from Steepletone's web site (via the link from a member)

Also, I've just clicked on my own avatar and that allows me to save it with no problems.

It only happened about a month or two ago and I don't remember changing anything at my end.

I'm off now to log directly into IE and I'll sign into this site (instead of being connected via AOL) and see if, after signing in, what happens....back soon.
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 11:52 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Nothing has changed in the forum software there for ages.

Any changes to the forum or server software are announced in this section. If no changes are announced between something working and not working then you know the problem is not at this end.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 12:00 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
I'm not having any problems on any other sites and I can save pictures from a site where a member has provided a link to a picture. In fact I've just saved a picture from Steepletone's web site (via the link from a member).
Could you explain exactly what steps you're using to try to save the tape recorders picture, please, Tony?
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 12:08 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Gentlemen, save your efforts ....... It's !!@*!!@?%$&!!...... AOL !!!!!

No problems when signed in via IE directly only when I'm signed in via "AO ruddy L" !!

That ties up with the upgrade they suggested I did, from AOL 9.1 to AOL 9.7 (a few months back)

Thanks all for the well intended advice and I appologise on "AO ruddy L's" behalf and I'm off now to find & kick the cat !

Tony