UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2023, 11:30 pm   #1
CHEESE62

Default FT290 not tuning

Good evening all,

I have a couple of FT290's that to look at. Ther first appears to be working when you turn it on(YAY). Short lived excitement when you try to tune. Absolutely nothing. It sits, resolutely, where it was powered up. No change of mode works. It happily sits there.

I tried tranasmitting from handheld on said frequency and there is nothing being received.

Anyone had a similar problem in the past?

Many thanks for reading this post.

Neil - G1TZC
Old 19th Feb 2023, 5:57 pm   #2
Colinaps
Pentode

Default Re: FT290 not tuning

The only issue I've ever fixed on a 290 was the wee chip (and I think 2 electrolytic caps adjacent) that produces a negative rail. Can't remember the symptoms except that the VCO wouldn't lock - it was a long time ago...

Q05 in the reg unit. You should have ~-6.8V on pin5.

Colin mm1aps
Old 19th Feb 2023, 6:42 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

A source of weird combinations of faults is if anyone left batteries in the thing or overcooked NiCads in it. They spew clear conductive liquid onto the solder side of the main board creating all sorts of damage. Sometimes with tiny blue sparks!

Check carefully, This has been known to take out CPU system.

David
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 12:26 am   #4
Colinaps
Pentode

They also have the mystery latex gunk that puts circuits out of tune as it decomposes if I remember correctly - Harry Leeming used to go on at length about the stuff.

Cheers,

Colin.
Closed Thread