UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2014, 7:46 pm   #1
dejan64
Retired Dormant Member

Default B2 MK3 set

Hi Folks

I decided to join this fine forum after i got famous British B2MK3 spy radio.
It looks perfect and apart from headphones it contains all parts and accessories
even spare tubes box. It was used in Yugoslav army and sealed in October
of 1961 when it was stored till i discovered it last week.
Here are few pictures of it.
Dejan Kljajic. Krusevac. Serbia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case r.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	101288   Click image for larger version

Name:	spares.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	101289   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio b.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	101290   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts b.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	101291  
Old 8th Dec 2014, 9:16 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: B2 MK3 set

Welcome and that is a great set. Very jealous!!
Old 8th Dec 2014, 10:41 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

There are many people looking for those sets.

All through the 1970s and 1980s there were many advertisements in amateur radio magazines from people looking for them. Maybe some were from retired spies wanting to go on the air again, but I think many were from people hoping to buy something valuable from anyone who didn't know what it was worth.

There are newly made replica B2s on the air. Ian, G3ROO and a number of the G-QRP club are keen on them. You'll sometimes find Ian on the air using his other callsign GB2SPY and there's some information on QRZ.com

Have fun with it, you have something very special.

David
Old 9th Dec 2014, 8:34 am   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi David,

After WW2 the RSGB got together with the Ministry of Supply and secured a lot of war surplus equipment at reduced prices for their members. The B2 was prominent amongst the types people wanted and the RSGB Bulletin had articles on getting the sets going, converting for Top Band, building a modulator, making PA coils (often missing), etc. Unfortunately, the sets were sold with a condition they were not sold on at a profit but this was ignored and sets even appeared in the Bulletin Classified Adverts, much to the anger of the RSGB board!

I haven't heard of anyone building a B2 replica but I know a local amateur who has made excellent replicas of the PSU and other parts. I think the more common replicas are of the earlier Paraset?

A nice find! I notice though, that the crystals are for a BC-669, types DC-34 and 35 and I'm not 100% sure that they will fit the 10X socket on the B2? Is that an original Morse key?
Old 9th Dec 2014, 9:18 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

It was fun a few years ago, before "The Hobbit" pub (named because it's on Hobb's lane) closed, when it was the base for the G-QRP gang staying for the Rishworth convention. In the bar before dinner there were several members with all sorts of bits of clandestine gear on show to each other. B2s with mixtures of original and re-created bits, paraset and I recall a Mark 123. Ian and Johnny Apell were the ringleaders.

I know one guy who was an actual user of a mark 123. He tells an interesting tale of popping into Uganda to see what was going on, and his light plane being pursued by Idi Amin's armed goons on bicycles as he and the pilot tried to get enough speed to lift off.

Most of the attraction of these sets must be in wondering just where they've been. I don't suppose being caught by Amin's goons would have been any nicer than similar business in WWII.

DAvid
Old 9th Dec 2014, 10:46 am   #6
dejan64
Retired Dormant Member

Today i realized that morse key is an Wehrmacht so called "mouse" key.
So it is not original,since there was many German radios in Yugoslavia
during war then thats why there is German key as replacement.
Will check those crystals ,thanks for info i did not know that since i got radio
yesterday.
Btw i have some more ww2 radios in my collection,like Torn eb used even after ww2 in Yugoslav army,hence label plates in our language instead of German.
http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/de...?sort=3&page=1
Here is mine rare Lorenz transciever
http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/de...?sort=3&page=1
One of mine Torn is in perfect working order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZHeX5a019c
Dejan.
Old 9th Dec 2014, 5:58 pm   #7
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

That set is quite similar to mine. I believe it to be an early set as it has Bakelite aerial and anode tuning knobs on the xmtr and the rectangular power supply connectors. Most of the sets you see have the metal disk "National" style dials and moulded black power plugs.

If you haven't already you should join the Yahoo B2SPY group.
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/b2spy/info

Bruce M0SOE

Last edited by AC/HL; 9th Dec 2014 at 6:48 pm. Reason: Forum rules
Closed Thread