UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2014, 6:37 pm   #21
ian rose
Pentode

Default Re: Magneta 'NAAFI' radio

Yes, indeed. my circuit is basically the Garner with a few simplifications.
Regards
Ian
Old 29th Nov 2014, 4:38 am   #22
David Dunlop
Pentode

Ian. I checked with my Mum and at 91, her memory is a bit spotty, but she says the radios they had at their camp in Algeria were 'brown'. I would comfortably assume that to cover the beige range if that helps. The main NAAFI Base she was at was known as Camp Secouf, on the coast, East of Algiers. From what I can figure out, this camp was an 8th Army/NAAFI joint operation, but Mum said the NAAFI girls rotated from it out to a half dozen or so satellite bases that included RAF and some American personnel. No idea what radios they had there.

Hope this helps,

David
Old 30th Nov 2014, 7:30 pm   #23
AlanC
Hexode

Just to contribute my two-pennerth regarding Magneta, when I was in the sixth form in the 70's the school had a PA system that was manufactured by Magneta, which I and others used to look after. The labels on the rack-mounted amps said 'Magneta (BVC) Ltd' on them. The small signal stages were built on veroboard (yes, veroboard!) with custom metalwork; all pots, knobs, connectors and the rest was straight out of RS Components. The electronic design was really good and the sound quality was excellent. The system had a built in siren generator for the fire alarm signal and an intermittent tone for the school 'bell'. The power amps (there were 5 of them) were 100W each and the whole lot ran from 24 volt battery-backed supplies. Much later (in the late nineties) I discovered a similar system still in use in a fire station in Sheffield. AFAIK it's still there.
Old 30th Nov 2014, 7:38 pm   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Wonder if the brown radios in Algeria were the more familiar wooden cabinet Naafi sets. Some being mains and the others 6 volt vibrator supply inside?